Underwater for the Earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtleguy9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha All
A strange thing happened Thursday. I was leading a dive around 10 am, and on the dive I heard some strange noises like explosions, and vibrations. I looked all around, and saw no boats overhead or anything weird. When I got back on board the boat, I asked if the navy or Coast guard had been doing anything around us. The Radio kicked on then, and said there had been an earthquake off Maui. Now I know what an earthquake sounds like underwater.
Did anyone else have a similar experience?
Aloha Turtleguy9

Cool! Thats something new.

odd - I'm on Maui and didn't notice it ... course I was asleep at the time I think :wink:

Thanks for the info on what it's like underwater though.

Aloha, Tim

Yes, that's cool as long as no one gets hurt.

Turtleguy9:
Aloha All
A strange thing happened Thursday. I was leading a dive around 10 am, and on the dive I heard some strange noises like explosions, and vibrations. I looked all around, and saw no boats overhead or anything weird. When I got back on board the boat, I asked if the navy or Coast guard had been doing anything around us. The Radio kicked on then, and said there had been an earthquake off Maui. Now I know what an earthquake sounds like underwater.
Did anyone else have a similar experience?
Aloha Turtleguy9
I just had that same sort of thing happen to me
today in Gulf of Mexico off of Florida.
I thought it might be a passing boat with loud boom box onboard.
After finishing dives and going home found out there was
a 6.0 quake 250 miles off the coast.
We were out only about 20 miles or so.
Alot of booming like thunder, followed shortly by shockwave that could be felt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom