Underwater hockey a "breath taking sport"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i play with some of friends at the pool :)
its a great way to practice breath holding skills in a different environment.

There is nothing you can do that is more effective at making snorkelling/free-diving second nature. The most fun you can have underwater without a tank!

I agree totally, that is why I am so fond of underwater hockey and spearfishing. I enjoy the odd scuba dive but I find after about 50 dives there is no challenge left in the sport, I would rather be snorkelling in the ocean. Underwater hockey is challenging and keeps you very fit

That looks fun!

When I was taking the YMCA scuba certification course in 1970 the instructor had us play 10 minutes of underwater hockey before each class.

For sure, the only thing better than underwater hockey is underwater rugby! Scuba is pretty great too, of course. :wink:

My dive club started in 1956 and was playing underwater hockey from the early 60's. We have old 8mm movies showing games being played on SCUBA. Divers with double hose regs on twin and tripple sets. The hocky sticks are bad enought on the fingers, I can only imagine how many teeth those tanks took out.

Underwater hockey and underwater rugby were both invented in Europe, the former in 1954 in England, where it was first known as "octopush", and the latter in 1961 in Germany, where it is called "Unterwasserrugby". Both sports have interesting and informative Wikipedia articles at
Underwater hockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Underwater rugby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
respectively.

The fins traditionally worn by underwater hockey players have been Technisub Ala all-rubber closed-toe full-foots:
technisubala.jpg

Sadly, they're no longer in production. They're excellent fins and because they're made from rubber, their blades are less likely to cause injury to fellow-players than their plastic equivalents in what is a contact sport in the confined area of a swimming pool. In New Zealand, some underwater hockey players substitute for Technisub Alas Japanese-made all-rubber full-foot Gull Hard Mew fins:
800220.jpg

I've got a pair and they are excellent fins too, but sadly they're not distributed by the manufacturer in Europe or America.

Underwater hockey fins were traditionally worn with colourful rubber fin grips, which fit over the heel, ankle and instep to secure fins during play:
1217222544s0.jpg1217222855l0.jpg1217222489_m_0.jpg1217222574l0.jpgriffe_finkeeper.jpg
The French Underwater Hockey Federation used to sell South African-made ones made in red or yellow as well as black, but only black is now available outside the Far East.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom