Underwater Magnifying Glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJorgen

Contributor
Reaction score
A clever friend of mine :doctor: developed a Underwater Magnifying Glass . See the Underwater Magnifying Glass homepage.

Normal magnifying glasses do not work underwater :nono:, since the refraction index of glass is almost equal to the refraction index of water. Magnifying power is lost.

My friend found a solution :hehe: and now makes and sells these magnifying glasses. Here a lot of my diving association members use the glass for studying underwater life on the square inch. It works well.

Does anybody have seen similar developments? :confused:

Cool! A friend of mine has a magnifier of sorts...a $10,000 camera set up with a macro lens!! Think this is more my style!

Any idea of the cost and if its available in the US?

Hello,

OK someone please tell me the practical purpose of a glass u/w?

Ed

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

OK someone please tell me the practical purpose of a glass u/w?

Ed

Focusing sunlight to start leaves on fire wouldn't be one of them...
But I think it would be great for looking at small things...
:D

The Magnifying Glass costs 90 euro dollar. I think a Euro dollar costs here 88 US :patriot: dollar cents. So the costs of the glass will be around US$ 78. Please contact Jos Schulte. See his site for e-mail address, etc.

Local diving here in the Netherlands often take place with only a few meters visibility. This automatically leads to focussing on things nearby. We've got a number of biologists in our diving association. They tend to look at insects and small plants as well. Recently one of those guys discovered a new plant. They're very fond of the magnifying glass :) .

I've seen pics that people have taken with macro lenses, and they are fascinating! A guy at work took a pic of fish eggs..and you could see the little eyes and bodies in each egg! I know a magnifying glass probably won't have the same magnification...but I like to concentrate on the little things that most people miss..especially at night.

Out of curiosity..what is the magnification with this?

I saw a diver with a magnifying glass in Atami (Isu Penisular, Japan) last weekend - it was not one of your friends though so I guess he's not alone......

Jonathan

Hello,

I think a 50mm macro lens should work ok.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom