Underwater Manatee Bones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Rob

Registered
Reaction score
Went diving a couple of weekends ago in a local freshwater spring and found some very old Manatee bones. Not worth anything, but I thought they were really neat!

manateebones.jpg

Are they fossilized or still bone? I've found fossil ribs and vertebrae in a creek in FL, but they were nowhere near as good condition as those.

It's weird, they really aren't fossilized. They are really soft and brittle. I think that they are impregnated from the water making them very brittle. We had actually found a large cache of these bones, but unfortunately most of them were in too poor of condition to bring to the surface. These are definately the best of the bunch.

We found these bones in the Mud River. As you can tell by the name, visiblity was almost zero, so once we came back to the boat the area we found these in was lost.

very cool find

Scubaroo:
Are they fossilized or still bone? I've found fossil ribs and vertebrae in a creek in FL, but they were nowhere near as good condition as those.

I know this has been a while but have a question, How do you know when they are fossilized?

I am Robs cousin and was there too... Kind of eerie when you find a cache of old bones like that and don't know what they are from. I wanted to get a good picture so I could try to find out what they were. I found a picture of a bleached out whole skeleton online, I will add it to this post. We had to throw them back because they were literally crumbling after a few minutes of being in the sun and were making quite a mess on my boat. I was kind of worried about any trouble, in case they were there due to some type of foul play.

MarineQuestManateeBones15.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom