Underwater Metal Detecting.. Your Favorites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used a lot of different metal detectors as we search the 1715 wrecks off Sebastian, Florida. We have Whites', Fishers, Minelab, Garratts, Tesaros, and they all work differently. For me a metal detector must float. Not all do. If working in a surge and the machine doesn't float it may disappear as I dig. But a floating one will be always over my head on a leash, not bashing into rocks. The more simple the machine the easier to find stuff. My Excalibur has all the dials, and discrimination ranges but will go right over a "hit" on our Surfmaster. I have all but given it up for the Surfmaster which out finds the Excalibur 50 to 1. Battery life is also an issue. When the Excalibur's battery dies I can't charge it on the boat. When the Fisher's or others die, I open it an insert new batteries, and dive again.
Each to his own, the Excalibur works great on land, but for my experience and money not very well in salt water.

I love my little Vibra-Tector 730. It seems to work good and is easy to clip to your BC went not in use :)

I like the Vibra -730 for a hard bottom like rock or sand.BUT When you have silt over 3" I use my Fisher 1280.

Sorry, 23 post's and not one picture of anything that you guys have found with an underwater metal detector. My point you can spend $100.00 and not find anything or you can spend a $1000.00 and not find anything.

Sorry, 23 post's and not one picture of anything that you guys have found with an underwater metal detector. My point you can spend $100.00 and not find anything or you can spend a $1000.00 and not find anything.

I have a lovely pull tab collection...

Back
Top Bottom