Underwater Metal Detecting.. Your Favorites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you will not beat minelabs excaliber....but its $$$$$ I have the tesoro Tigershark..I like it allot

i have two. I use the Garrett Sea Hunter II in salt water and the Fisher 1280 in fresh water. Both are excellent in each environment. I have not used the Garrett in fresh water, but it should work fine.

I'm an Asst. Team Leader for the County Dive Recovery Team. We purchased a JW Fisher off of research and recomendations. Shortly after doing so we had the opportunity to dive with the FBI U/W Recovery Team and were pleased to see they had the identical units in service. Of course ALL thier gear was top notch and could afford any brand but the Team Leader stated that the JW was all they needed.

I'm really glad for this post, as I too am very interested in getting into uw-detecting. I do quite a bit of detecting on land and currently own all Tesoro products. I am leaning heavily towards purchasing from them again when I get a UW one, but this is an area I have no expertise in, so i'll be watching this thread to see all the ideas that pop up. If there is personal info on Tesoro experiences, I would be interested to hear those too. -Sorry if I am hijacking your post, I dont mean to :)

I use the JW fishers pulse 8x. I also have a search sled coil that hooks up to it so i can deploy it off my boat. Other detectors i have: Whites surfmaster, Whites surfmaster 2 and the whites surfmaster PI. I love them all. The whites products will be the cheapest

Last edited:
You will find that the Infinium LS can be hard to operate. But it actually depends on the level you want to reach. If you turn it on, straight out of the box, you will find metal in most areas. The reason it has so many other knobs and dials (along with Fisher's Impulse) is for areas and metals that are semi-uncommon. Each beach is different, due to different makeups of runoffs, what kind of sand is there, how much metal is in the sand, and how much metal is in the area around the sand. Also, things like power lines (to include trains) and even vehicle traffic can affect your detector and make you think you found something, when you did not. It's places like these that I ALWAYS carry my manual with me. I use these settings so infrequently that I forget the exact things I need to do to "tune" the detector into what I want to find, and exclude the other external forces. Hopefully, this post finds you happy with your purchase of whichever model you went with. If not, don't exclude the Infinium because of what I said. Used properly, it will pick up things that you would not be able to with any other kind of detector. It is well worth the time spent to go over and over the manual, and actually spend the time getting to know your detector.
Also, the kind of coil to get is again dependant on what you want. Large coils search deeper and (obviously) greater areas at one time. This translates into picking up many more objects. Small coils, on the other hand, are much more exact on where the object actually is in the ground. This is "pinpointing" the object. This eventually translates into a faster dig, which means more objects.
Also, I caution you on buying a detector in general. Every mound of dirt, grass, body of water, wooded area, open plain will have you aching to get out there. =) Your wife will leave you because you spend too much time under water looking for treasure (if she hasn't already). =) Your neighbors will hate you for accidentally digging up the collar on the dog they buried 3 years ago (my bad). SO BEWARE!!! =)
Hope this helps and wasn't longer than it was usefull.
Good hunting.

I'm not sure how to post-
BUT....this forum looks like folks know their ****...
Question: which of these is a good metal detector for underwater AND shallow water hunting:
Garret Sea Hunter ll, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Fisher Pulse 1280 X, Fisher Pulse 8X....
Okay, I know some of these are not for full underwater...but I am hunting in VERY shallow areas...any input? I need a unit to do both....but more on the shallow and even on-beach low tide area... THANKS; it is nice to find a pro forum!:cool2:

...Or should I say it is between the Fisher Pulse 8X, the Minelab Excalibur ll, or the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark ll. Between the Excalibur and the Sea Hunter....anyone have a preference besides the 400 dollar price difference? I am leaning towards the Excalibur...but need input. Thanks!

...Or should I say it is between the Fisher Pulse 8X, the Minelab Excalibur ll, or the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark ll. Between the Excalibur and the Sea Hunter....anyone have a preference besides the 400 dollar price difference? I am leaning towards the Excalibur...but need input. Thanks!

I have owned both a Fisher Pulse 8x and an Excalibur. I currently own the Excalibur. If you are even thinking about using a machine for both land and water
you will want the Excal. The Pulse 8x is the most heavily built and deepest seeking machine I have ever used. That is the good news. The bad news is that it has no discrimination whatsoever so you have to dig everything. Sometimes that is ok and other times it is not ok(as in an old home site that is loaded with nails). I love my Excal! Sen me a PM if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom