Underwater Navigation Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have a float (buoy) with a gps in it. The float also has a magnetic compass. The wrist units calculate their position relative to the buoy. The wrist units display a map (and you can upload your own bathymetric maps (if you make your own) with your position, and displays the numbers or coordinates.

They said you can pre-upload - waypoints, a course, or other features onto the wrist unit.

They were hoping for release next spring. I can't want to get my hands on one.

They have a float (buoy) with a gps in it. The float also has a magnetic compass. The wrist units calculate their position relative to the buoy. The wrist units display a map (and you can upload your own bathymetric maps (if you make your own) with your position, and displays the numbers or coordinates.

They said you can pre-upload - waypoints, a course, or other features onto the wrist unit.

They were hoping for release next spring. I can't want to get my hands on one.

I sent them an email,offering to be a beta-tester, with an example of some of my previous mapping so they know I'm not just looking for a new toy:D. Any idea how the wrist units "calculate" their position relative to the buoy, especially distance? Signal strength, measuring time via a sonar ping, or? Will it do other coordinates than Lat./Long. (I prefer UTM for mapping)? Will it store tracks? I take it the float holds the transmitter rigidly in reference to the compass, rather than just having it dangle on a wire?

Guy

Last edited:
As I understood it.

It uses a multi beam rf to determine range and bearing from the buoy, to accurately show the position of each wrist unit.

They say it will go up to a 1/2 mile right now. Also, the transmitter would have the sensor rigidly attached (as I understood them)

I also volunteered to be a beta tester, and offered a few additional ideas for other potential improvements to the concept, and possible uses for it :)

As I understood it.

It uses a multi beam rf to determine range and bearing from the buoy, to accurately show the position of each wrist unit.

They say it will go up to a 1/2 mile right now. Also, the transmitter would have the sensor rigidly attached (as I understood them)

I also volunteered to be a beta tester, and offered a few additional ideas for other potential improvements to the concept, and possible uses for it :)

Turns out we've got someone local who will be sent a unit, and they just asked on another forum if anyone wished to test it. I made my interest known :bounce3:

and waited calmly and patiently for a reply :praying:.

Just got it -- I'm in:santa4:

Don't know when it will be available.

Guy

Turns out we've got someone local who will be sent a unit, and they just asked on another forum if anyone wished to test it. I made my interest known :bounce3:

and waited calmly and patiently for a reply :praying:.

Just got it -- I'm in:santa4:

Don't know when it will be available.

Guy

And here's some competition, not for the GPS capability (although I imagine it could be added) easily enough), but for homing, comms, built-in computer and compass etc. I'd think the text message capability would be very useful, especially for tech divers who don't want to use a full face mask. Seems like dive boats would find it very useful too, sending out recalls and keeping track of the herd.

utc - The Product - Communication

Guy

UTC debuted the UDI at DEMA 2 years ago. The UDI is also a dive computer.

UTC debuted the UDI at DEMA 2 years ago. The UDI is also a dive computer.

I sent an email to the company over the weekend, and here's the reply I just got from the designer/head honcho, Barry Megdal.

Guy
--------------------------------------------------

We appreciate your inquiry about Navimate. We will soon be putting a “How it Works” section on our website to give an overview of system operation.

I would like to clear up a couple of misconceptions that we have heard from show attendees. We never intended anyone to think that the units we showed at DEMA were production units, or were waterproof, etc. They were models that are being used as the first step in our production of units for retail sales. We have been developing algorithms and hardware with prototype units which have given excellent results, but are not “pretty” enough for a show.

The MSRP of the wrist unit will be $700, and $300 for the transponder that is hung from the boat or dive buoy. We will be giving the transponders to dive shops that purchase a minimum number of wrist units, as well as to dive boat operators. We are scheduled to get the first units for retail sale from the manufacturer in May or June of 2010.

We are still finalizing the list of what map formats we will accept for downloading, and at the DEMA show learned of some new ones that we will support. Any suggestions on that issue are welcomed, as we can still make software changes of that type, and in fact can do so even after product release, as the firmware will be field upgradeable.

Soon after the initial release of Navimate we will be offering a “no display” unit at reduced price (not yet set), which will be perfect for attaching to the tanks of students or on divers being led by a divemaster. The instructor or divemaster will be able to keep track of the location of the other divers in his or her group, but those divers will not have the distraction (or the cost) of a wrist-mounted unit.

The next product (now being designed) will answer the many requests to be able to keep track of diver locations from a dive boat. The Navimate units are broadcasting their GPS positions on a low-power acoustic beacon, allowing other us to map the locations of dive buddies within a range of about 100 meters. In order to be able to keep track of diver locations at the full 1-2 km operating range of Navimate, we will offer a more sensitive acoustic receiver that can be hung from a boat and connected to a laptop or other display.

Finally, the obvious follow-on product integrates a dive computer with Navimate. We have plans to build such a unit, but based on our conversations with several computer manufacturers at DEMA, this may well be done as a joint product development.

Please let us know if we can provide any more information.

Thank you again for your interest.

- Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

Shb Instruments, Inc.
19215 Parthenia St., Suite A
Northridge, CA 91324
www.shbinstruments.com
(818) 773-2000 (818) 773-2005 fax
bmegdal@shbinstruments.com

Dept. of Electrical Engineering
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA
bmegdal@caltech.edu (use either email)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:43 PM
To: navimate@shbinstruments.com
Subject: Specifications of Navimate, Beta testing?

Hi, I sent you an email yesterday asking for the price and projected availability of your Navimate. I'm interested in the unit as I do a fair amount of underwater mapping using a GPS. However, it's quite tedious to have to buoy each site and then have someone on the surface (in a kayak usually) paddle over and mark the coordinates. I do have some questions about accuracy, how the unit works (transponder & electronic compass?), whether it supports multiple coordinate systems (while Lat./Long. is fine for arriving on the site in a boat, I prefer UTM for mapping and while swimming underwater), up/download capability and memory (we have some excellent side-scan sonar bathymetric maps available from CSUMB), etc. It would be helpful if you could put up a spec sheet and/or a manual on your website.

BTW, if you need beta testers I'd be happy to be one. To show that I'd actually give it a workout, here's an example of a map I prepared showing an underwater navigation course at the Breakwater in Monterey:

http://tinyurl.com/yadjlvl
and here's the bearings and distances between the waypoints on the course:

http://tinyurl.com/yaarfvm

Thank you,
Guy Alcala

What are your feelings about an underwater navigational device? Definitely would use it on every dive.

What do you find most difficult about underwater navigation? Constant monitoring of relative position.

How long have you been diving, and how has your answer to the last question changed as you’ve become more experienced? 15 years, no change.

When looking for a specific feature at a dive site (cave, wreck, etc…) how often do you have difficulty find it? If you’ve had difficulties with this, would your rather have a map to look at, or a simple arrow telling you the distance, direction, and depth to the feature? If I have info on the site, minimal problem. Lacking info, more difficult. Would rather have a 'map' similar to GPS chart on a boat system.

Have you ever used any devices (other than a compass) for underwater navigation, and if so, what were your experiences with them? Plotting slates; good results.

How often have you been separated from your dive partner? Of those times, how many times have you easily found them, and how many took longer than you would have liked? A few times, usually easily found, occasional prolonged separation. Location device would be great.

What would be your biggest reason for purchasing a navigation device (safety, better dives, comfort, etc…)? Safety

Do you use a dive computer? If so, what type do you use, how much did it cost, and what made you purchase your particular model? Orca Marathon for air, Geecko for Nitrox, Best
algorithm on Orca and ease of use/price on Geecko.

How often do you replace your computer, and what will you be looking for in your next one that your current model lacks? Haven't/won't unless necessary, would like a less conservative algorithm than geecko.

If your next purchase of computer had an option for a practical navigational aid, how strongly would you consider the following features? Please rate from 1= Unnecessary to 5=Important, and add any comments you feel are necessary.

Distance and direction to boat (or dive starting location): 5

Distance and direction to dive partner (or other divers): 4

Waypoints for dive features (caves, wrecks, etc…): 5+

Actual map of dive site: 5

A recorded path of your dive (including air usage and swim speed): 4

Some facts about you:
Geographic location (state or country): FL
Do you prefer boat dives or beach dives: Boat
Favorite dive spot: Southern Bahamas

found something...hope its helpful...

ACSA > Experts in underwater GPS applications

oh btw...someone should invent a GPS with an antenna, or reciver, at the top of a SMB, or something attached to the diver, and have a wire following down the line to the GPS??? think it would work??????

found something...hope its helpful...

ACSA > Experts in underwater GPS applications

oh btw...someone should invent a GPS with an antenna, or reciver, at the top of a SMB, or something attached to the diver, and have a wire following down the line to the GPS??? think it would work??????

It's been working for years, just ask the military. The problem is having to tow along a float everywhere you go.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom