Underwater Navigation Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came across the Navimate info today..and wow. I'm excited by this. Being able to "lojack" my daughter when we're diving together would be a HUGE comfort. She's 20, but new to diving, so i tend to worry to much

Especially if the maps can be complete and detailed as to wreck locations. Or..barring that..user shareable. Upload them to a central site, then download them. IDK what the plans are for that..but I'm going to be paying close attention to this.

I have to be honest, when I rad the topic title, I thought "We already have one, its called a compass. And best of all it cant run out of batteries!".

I've thought a bit more about it, and while having a GPS type device would be nice, I think in the end it would probably hurt more than help. I mean, just imagine all the people who cant find their way to the supermarket without a TomTom, but in the water! We'd have people who spend more time looking at their UW GPS screen then they do whats around them, and I have no doubt people would quickly become dependent, something which could be very dangerous while underwater if something went wrong.

My solution is from right where I started. If people want to know how to navigate underwater, learn to use a compass :)

Perhaps...

However, the pros far outweigh such concerns IMO.

First..being able to keep track of dive buddies. Especially family members. MOST especially family members, but also, that random we sometimes get paired up with on a boat.

Second..Instructors. HUGE benefit.

third...it could replace slate-type maps. Which..while bad for the companies that make those, good for everyone else in that you wouldnt need to carry multiple area maps depending on where you are.

Fourth..more accurate info being passed along as to where wrecks are, where they've shifted in storms, etc. Also..be able to pinpoint hazards for authorities.

I don;t think many people use a GPS to find a grocery store unless they're in a new area. Then of course...why wouldn't you if its available?

I really don't see a whole lotta cons for this. Ohhh..could even be a new underwater navigation course developed

I have to admit, in retrospect, I could see it being a useful tool for use of finding wrecks and other things that may shift positions, my main concern is people becoming dependent on it. Being able to use a compass underwater is a vital skill that could possibly get you out of a bad situation one day, and it seems like too many people completely forgo learning how to use one.

However, I'll admit, a secondary (perhaps only available once you've completed a compass course) UW GPS course could be pretty unique.

I just received this email from a query I sent a couple of months ago. I had said I'd likely share any reply here, so I think that will be OK with Navimate. So, it's not dead yet, but won't be here anytime real soon. I don't know, but the proximity of the Long Beach show may have prompted the desire to get some statement out there.

Subject: RE: Navimate availability/status?
Date: June 3, 2011 3:19:39 PM PDT

I am writing to all those who have inquired about the status of our Navimate
product.

As you may know, we showed working prototype wrist units at the last DEMA
show, and had hoped to have the system on the market by this month.

Unfortunately, we are a small company, and the need to attend to our other
product lines has slowed down manufacturing arrangements for Navimate.

We are still very excited about this product and fully committed to bring it
to market, though it will not be until later this year at the earliest.

We will keep you up to date as we progress to product release.

Thank you.

Dr. Barry Megdal

Navimate - a product of Shb Instruments, Inc.
19215 Parthenia St., Suite A
Northridge, CA 91324
Navimate - GPS for Divers
(818) 773-2000 (818) 773-2005 fax
bmegdal@navimate.com

Dept. of Electrical Engineering
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA
bmegdal@caltech (use either email)

REEFDUFFFER

looks like you inquiering beat me to the punch. sounds like this great idea is headed for the grave. . too bad too. the technology is facinating at the least. perhaps there has been some government/mil application that may be interfering with public release. i dont know if i hope that, that is the case or not. if it is then it is a matter of time before it becomes avaailable to us like the gps with reduced accuracy. if not then it has some serious problems and can not be released. lets hope for the best

Hi, only recently got back into diving, and find it strange there aren't many sub-surface Nav aids available, not really fussed about using one personally at the mo, but since the the topic has been raised there is a pretty easy way of doing it, the tech has been here for decades, with a few minor changes and the addition of GPS assistance and modern software, really quite simple.

Hi, only recently got back into diving, and find it strange there aren't many sub-surface Nav aids available, not really fussed about using one personally at the mo, but since the the topic has been raised there is a pretty easy way of doing it, the tech has been here for decades, with a few minor changes and the addition of GPS assistance and modern software, really quite simple.

The reason is the market for scuba devices is too small, especially now with the economic downturn.

Ummm... The radio frequency that the GPS signals are on has very poor penetration into water.
Folks have been looking into the U/W aspects for quite a while.
You're going to need to get into the ULF band for any sort of radio signal depth penetration, making a surface repeater necessary, or at least an antenna that's extending to the surface.
Gyro stabilized devices seem to be the better answer, along the lines of an old-style autopilot.
(that's what the torpedo guidance systems use).

+1, Above post said it all a compass is the best thing with the present technology. Cost would be another problem for something that would work.

The only way I know how to do this is with a GPS in a clear dry box. Find what you were looking for then send the GPS up to take a reading on your location. As for navigation in the water the only thing I can think of is to have an antenna from the GPS unit up to a dive flag on the surface but I have never seen this done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom