underwater navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another trick is to make the dive into 2 (or more) shorter distance dives by coming back by the boat/anchor/mooring midway through the dive. For example, combine this with hvlin's suggestion of how to use the slope by going outbound 1/4 of total dive time, then back along the slope to the boat, then continue outbound the other direction for 1/4 dive time and back. And then come on back a bit early, and look at the tiny stuff on the bottom in the area around the boat. This way you'll never stray too far away and can enjoy your dive instead of worrying about finding your way back.

If you are finning along at a more or less constant average speed, you don't have to count kick cycles, but instead can rely upon time.

-----------

Don't forget to look BACK every once in a while when finning away from the anchor/mooring. Things often look different when swimming back in the other direction.

Just swim up to a "gas" station and while your topping off ask for directions.:wink:

In some of the waters around here that would be a nice deal. I try to use natural navigation most of the time combined with time. If I use the counting method I am of course pretty accurate but must watch the compass as well as depth while counting kicks and remembering it all.

I prefer Natural Navigation but it's harder because often in 5 or 10 feet of vis it's easy to pass the mark by, or even mistake something else for it. Yesterday I chose a flat plateau rock feature near this odd shaped tree as a mark for one of my dives and when I surfaced I was pretty close to where I wanted to be. Not perfect but 10 feet under the boat I couldn't see the shiny silver pontoons and could only hear it as they slapped the water. Rough day.

cummings66:
Not perfect but 10 feet under the boat I couldn't see the shiny silver pontoons and could only hear it as they slapped the water. Rough day.
On one of the first dives I led, I passed under the boat, surfaced and took a bearing, swam back under it again without seeing it. Took another bearing and swam back the right distance, still couldn't see it and finally surfaced right next to it. My buddy was convinced we were totally lost, but we were just crisscrossing 200' back and forth under the boat. The Captain thought it was pretty funny though, as he watched the bubble trail go back and forth.

On the next dive I paid more attention to coloration/lighting changes above and found that I could detect the vague shadow of the boat, even when the boat itself isn't visible. I also learned to aim for the anchor/mooring or the mooring line just down current of the anchor.

Skilled navigation is using all of the various clues. Sometimes, once we learn something like "look for the shadow", it's automatic and not something we think to pass on to others.

Charlie99:
Skilled navigation is using all of the various clues. Sometimes, once we learn something like "look for the shadow", it's automatic and not something we think to pass on to others.

I agree with Charlie as far as everything becoming automatic. Think of it like driving around a city. You take in various cues while listening to the radio or talking, watching your speed, watching traffic and traffic signals, etc. While it may sound like a lot to watch a bunch of cues while enjoying your dive, you'll notice with experience that you do it automatically and that it doesn't take away from your enjoyment of the dive. You end up enjoying your dives more because you have greater comfort knowing where you are at any given time.

Niamh,

Navigation has been an incredible challenge for me as well. It is something I try to work on whenever I dive.

I took a great class that offered what I thought were incredibly good points on how to improve navigation.

Different dives require different navigation techniques. For example, a boat dive requires you to return to the anchor line to make your ascent. Whereas most shore dives, you need to know, generally speaking, where the shore is and whenever you are done, you just head back in that direction. There are advanced shore dives where you may be entering in an area that is protected and must return back to that area, otherwise, you risk making your return in something like a rocky area that is being pounded by waves. Anyway, each type of dive might require different "exploration" techniques which also entail slightly different navigation techniques.

Since you asked about boat dives, let me tell try my best to answer for that specific type of dive. For boat dives, it is highly recommended to make your ascent at the anchor line. This enables you to surface in the protection of the boat (presumably other boats are avoiding your boat). Ascending away from your anchor line may make it prudent to deploy a surface marker to passing boats know that there is a diver making an ascent somewhere other than an anchor line. The anchor line also gives you a visual reference to make your ascent. This makes it easier to know when you are making a slow steady ascent and also helps you during your safety stop.

Keeping in mind that you want to make you ascent using the anchor line, you should plan you dive so that you finish at the anchor line. On boat dives to sites you have never been to, this can be pretty hard. So one technique I was taught in sites like this is to explore the area using the star technique. This means that you use the anchor line as your base. You take a heading of say, due north and kick away from the anchor for say 20 ft. You explore all the way out. And then, when you are done, you take your reciprocal and head south for 20 ft. and you are back at the anchor line. Now presumably, you still have plenty of gas for your dive. So now you might decide to head west for 20 ft. Then head back to the anchor line. Then south... and so on.

This technique ensures that you explore a pretty good sized area and still return to the anchor line to make a safe ascent and is probably the best way to go for newbies as well as divers in unfamiliar sights and with limited vis.

Another technique is to use topography and your compass in combination. This type of navigation requires you to think through the dive a little more carefully from the beginning. For example, if the boat takes you to a set of pinnacles, you landmarks are different than say when the boat takes you to a low reef or a wall. In these types of dives, having a look at an underwater sonar reading of the area prior to your dive makes it helpful to make a plan on how to navigate a dive with the end goal of making it back to the anchor line. As an example, with a pinnacle, you can typically circumnavigate the pinnacle and find your way back to the anchor line assuming that it is not a huge pinnacle and assuming that you took a depth reading of where the anchor is located. If you wanna jump from one pinnacle to another, obviously, you need to know ahead of time that there are other pinnacles there and know which pinnacles you would want to jump to as well as which direction those other pinnacles are. Take a reading on which direction you are jumping just to double check so that you can remember which direction the anchor line is.

Anyway, these are just small tidbits. I'm sure others may have other tips they can offer. Also, if you think you are interested in the other navigation techniques offered in the class I took, you should look into the class. It is called Recreational Diving - Level 2 and is offered by a company in California called Breakthrudiving. Their website is Breakthrudiving.com. We use these techniques in Monterey where diving conditions are incredibly challenging with limited vis, strong current and cold water. These techniques seem to work well here.

Finding your way back to the boat doesn't have to be so complicated. With the technology of acoustic engineering, there's a device that let's you know how far away from the boat you are by blinking LED lights. It's a two-part system: transmitter and receiver. Leave the transmitter tied to the anchor of the boat while the diver(s) have a receiver, and finding your way back to the boat will be a sinch. Spend more time looking at Sebastian, Flounder, and all their cute friends singing an underwater musical rather than trying to backstep (...or backswim) to recognizable areas ("hrm...I could swear I just went past this rock....").

It's a great and reliable system that hasn't failed me, and a nice little dive tool to have. Give it a glance: Divetracker Scout. Happy and safe diving, all!

A simple line and reel also works very well. I use the trick if the visibility is poor (<20'). It can get interesting if more than one line is used as with multiple buddy pairs, but I don't dive off boats with that many pairs in the water. Descend down the anchor line, tie off there, swim where you want and follow the line back.

A couple of cautions. Don't blindly follow the line. Keep an eye on the terrain or your compass so you have a general idea of where the boat is. Remember to leave enough NDL time to get back to the anchor at the tie off depth. Also if you are not the line holder or the buddy of the line holder make sure to keep an eye on the line so it doesn't get reeled up and leave you out there. If that happens see caution #1. If all else fails make a blue ascent and shoot a bag.

My reel has about 300-400' on it and I have never gotten close to the end.

And yes, I did see this was an old resurrected thread :)

As said, start from the anchor or mooring block and note the depth before you move off and descend. Swim into the current, or if none, either direction. To return, ascend to the anchor depth and reverse course making sure you stay at that depth. Once you find the anchor (mooring block) ascend to make your safety stop and then to the surface. Envision it as a triangle (drop straight to deepest then angle up or the reverse - angle down then straight up or finally angle down then angle up. But always flat across anchor depth to return.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 09:56 AM ----------

It's a great and reliable system that hasn't failed me, and a nice little dive tool to have. Give it a glance: Divetracker Scout. Happy and safe diving, all!

It may be great but at $450-$800 way, way, way too pricy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom