Underwater Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on your avitar you live in MA, you obviously understand that dead men can vote as often as they like...how else can you explain Ted Kennedy's continued presence in DC.

Money ... just like all the rest of 'em ... but that's really a conversation more appropriate to The Pub.

Let's keep this one about navigation, please ... :no

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting topic. I have a compass, never use it, finally just put it in my bag and will only use it if I absolutely must get from point A to point B and bearing is the only way to get there.

A question however, I find I am almost never lost, I pretty much always know where I am in relation to where I started and which direction and how far away the boat or the exit point is. Except in a current. In current the reverse is true, I almost always have no idea where I am. Something about how I navigate is completely disrupted by being in a current and I have to rely on landmarks to find my way back to the starting point?

Thanks for everybodies input! It guess it's back to school. It certainly explains why dive planning can take longer than 5 minutes. Looking forward to learning more. Will check in with learning progress/outcome.

Thanks again!

Thanks for everybodies input! It guess it's back to school.
Rather than back to school, maybe what you need is a visit to a schoolyard or park or any other big open area and do the sort of exercises the NWGreatfulDiver mentioned above.

Or even simpler, just grab a compass and play around with various patterns.

1. Out x number of paces on a bearing and then back on the reciprocal (reverse) bearing. See how close you are to your starting point.

2. Same sort of thing, but doing a square or triangle pattern, with all leg lengths equal.

3. Same sort of thing, but more random bearings and distances --- this is more akin to real life diving. Try to keep a mental picture of where you are with respect to the starting point. Either look back and see if you are correct, or for a harder challenge, use a small, hard-to-spot-at-a-distance marker and walk back in the direction/distance you guess and see how close your guess is.

Doing this for a while should develop your ability to keep a mental map of where you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom