Underwater protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I don't want to hijack old thread, so here's the new one. In other thread we discussed about underwater protection and I stated:

I see DIR, besides equipment and procedures, as a more responsible :) way of diving towards the nature as well.

Some of replies were:

Then you are attaching an attribute to DIR that is unique to yourself. Which is to say...it has nothing to do with DIR.

Actually

If either GUE or some self proclaimed DIR guru's proclaimed that to be DIR meant that your had to ecologically friendly, that would prove that DIR is meaningless.

I'll leave you to figure out why.

And here's the link to GUE Mission Statement About GUE | Global Underwater Explorers

Opinions?

OK- I'll play. I think the confusion lies in the use of GUE and DIR synonymously. DIR is a style of diving employing techniques, equipment and team skills. GUE is an organization that teaches and uses this style of diving in support of it's mission to "safely explore and protect the underwater world and to improve the quality of education and research in all things aquatic" (from GUE's mission statement). Environmental conservation is not inherent to DIR, but is to GUE.

What part of the mission statement explicitly denotes spearfishing (or lobster catching) as being non-DIR/GUE?

What part of the mission statement explicitly denotes spearfishing (or lobster catching) as being non-DIR/GUE?

None. I have no interest in dissecting the original thread and defending it's various points. I'm simply responding the the general statement by the OP at the top of this thread that "DIR, besides equipment and procedures, as a more responsible way of diving towards the nature as well." If he replaces DIR with GUE in that statement, it would be a true statement, in my opinion.

There is a difference between being a conservationist, a tree-hugger, and killing something just to kill something...

None. I have no interest in dissecting the original thread and defending it's various points. I'm simply responding the the general statement by the OP at the top of this thread that "DIR, besides equipment and procedures, as a more responsible way of diving towards the nature as well." If he replaces DIR with GUE in that statement, it would be a true statement, in my opinion.

His statement
"DIR, besides equipment and procedures, as a more responsible way of diving towards the nature as well."
to be taken seriously requires that "a more responsible way of diving towards the nature" needs to be defined. If everyone has a different definition, what good is it. So how can you make a "true" statement when the definition isn't defined?

His definition is no hunting.

others with have differing opinions.

His statement

to be taken seriously requires that "a more responsible way of diving towards the nature" needs to be defined. If everyone has a different definition, what good is it. So how can you make a "true" statement when the definition isn't defined?

His definition is no hunting.

others with have differing opinions.

If either GUE or some self proclaimed DIR guru's proclaimed that to be DIR meant that your had to ecologically friendly, that would prove that DIR is meaningless.

You can argue the definition of "a more responsible way of diving towards the (sic) nature" and you can argue what "ecologically friendly" means, exactly, but I don't think you can argue that GUE has, as part of it's mission, environmental conservation. I think you're more upset about the fact that the OP claims that spearfishing or lobstering of any sort is not environmentally friendly, so why don't we just have that argument and leave GUE and DIR out of the equation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom