Underwater saw operating off a scuba tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBarbadosBlue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I apologize in advance that this is not a recreationally oriented email, but with so many divers crossing between commercial and recreational I am hoping for some info from experienced members. We are looking for anyone who has used, seen used, sells, makes etc underwater saws. Ideally we are looking for an easy to use, cutting-pressure controlled saw that operates off a scuba tank.

Don't worry the work being done is to help save a nearshore habitat. All works have been government permitted, environmentally approved and necesarry to save and salvage some beautiful pieces of the underwater world... Any info appreciated. THANK YOU

Never tryed a saw yet,but we do use a lot of air powered tools under water.
Drills, socketwrenches,small jackhammers and even a nailgun,so why should a air saw not work.
They do need a lot of maintenance.:D

I doubt that a pneumatic saw would have enough power to be useful underwater. You should look into a hydraulic powered saw and make sure it is filled with biodegradable hydraulic fluid. The down side is that it wil not be as portable as you probably want and the power unit will have to be set on a boat or float over the work site. Also most pneumatic saws (and large tools) require a high volume of air flow which you will not get with a little 3/8" I.D. SCUBA hose. (example Pneumatic Concrete Chain Saws - Concrete Chain Saws and Saw Blades )

For big stuff you other option is a two handle logging saw (often called a misery whip) or for small stuff use a cross cut saw because it has more agressive teeth and will cut faster.

The absolute best option is to cut everything on the surface and bolt it together when you get on the bottom.

What are you cutting?

Check and see how many cu ft a min the saw uses, pneumatic tools are usually pretty high

There are several companies that can supply hydraulically powered saws, I don't think that pneumatic power is a realistic option. Try any of the commercial ROV companies (Oceaneering, Subsea7 etc) they may be able to supply what you need or point you in the direction of companies that supply hydraulically powered diamond cutting saws. Usually ROV companies use tools powered by synthetic or mineral oil based fluids (because that's what their vehicles use), however there are water based fluids out there that can be used in some of these tools. Castrol and McDermid Canning produce suitable water based fluids that are designed specifically for open loop control systems that discharge to the sea. Not nesecssarily an issue with these tools but nice to know in case you get a leak!!!
There are also other options open to you. It all depends upon what exactly you are trying to cut.

Provide more details and perhaps we can suggest some alternative options.

Thank you everyone for your help. We are now looking at the Stanley hydraulic chainsaws with biodegradable fluid and things are looking good. We are cutting primarily limestone, concrete and a little mineral rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom