Underwater shark attacks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zap Diver,
I didn't intend to worry you about diving with sharks. They are truly graceful and beautiful creations. You have the same chance of getting struck by lightening as getting attacked by a shark. I have dove with Tigers, Hammers, Bulls and Silkies. No worries. Enjoy the show

Your chances are also higher of getting killed by falling coconuts and vending machines. I stay away from coconut palms and only buy my soft drinks off the shelf.

I've dived with hundreds of sharks (that does not include the lawyers) and never had an incident. Done a number of cageless shark dives out in deep water without a problem. A 14 ft great white even swam past my buddy (Wyland) and me on a local dive. Even though my old M&B wetsuit looks like I've experienced multiple shark attacks, I've never been threatened (except once by a HUGE tiger shark who bumped our kayak in the Sea of Cortez back in 1971).

Act like prey, become prey.

At the surface you are clumsy, awkward, and often give certain cues that trigger a sharks investigative nature. When you are down in the sharks world looking it in the eye, it is unsure of you and will be much less likely to come in and test you out. The shark being an apex predator, does not want to chance an injury and it does not know what your decently sized self is capable of. He would much prefer a sneak and snack, or for you to trigger a predator prey situation before coming in.

If you walk up on a dog who is not overly aggressive, but who is not friendly and you stand your ground facing the animal, you are much more likely to make it out without incident. Now imagine a similar situation in which you see the dog and then turn and run.

I agree with you that it's better and safer to see a shark while being underwater than while you're being on the surface , especially if you're a free diver and always doing a spearfishing dives near to blue deep water , are you all agree with me ?

My avatar is actual footage taken during a rather eventful dive.

What you don't see is that luckily for me the shark choked on my Spare Air and spit both of us out. I was shaken but otherwise unharmed.

Back
Top Bottom