Underwater shark attacks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZapDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know a lot about sharks, and I would love to see one while diving.

I've always hear about shark attacks on the surface, I've been told that the sharks can confuse the surfers with turtles, of if they don't know which animal is the one floating above them, they may take a bite just to be curious.

Now, I've never heard about sharks attaking divers on casual encounters while they are underwater, and this has given me the impression that it's a lot safer to see a shark while beeing underwate than while beeing on the surface and I shouldn't be afraid if I see a shark while diving (On a casual encounter, not on a shark feeding trip).

Is this justified? or am i lacking information?

It is infrequent (I know of half dozen such incidents).

Actually two: my own experience and that of Jim Stewart, who had his arm mauled on a dive off Eniwetok.

There is an account fro the 70's of a diver who was last seen in the mouth of a large tiger. I believe the kid's last name was Brock, but I'm not sure of this.

I loved the Sharks rebuttal.

The most chilling account I have ever read dealing with a shark attack was the two divers that got mauled by two Oceanic White Tips off the Bahamas. I unfortunate soul was killed and never found the other ran out of air at 200 ft and survived. SCARY. I found it in the Undercurrent blog. There are only two things that scare me when I am in the water, Box Jellies and OWT's.

Zap Diver,
I didn't intend to worry you about diving with sharks. They are truly graceful and beautiful creations. You have the same chance of getting struck by lightening as getting attacked by a shark. I have dove with Tigers, Hammers, Bulls and Silkies. No worries. Enjoy the show

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom