Underwater Tone Generator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any device out there that makes a loud tone when you push a button that would work underwater?

I'm thinking that instead of some high-tech, VERY expensive communication gear in the regulator, a simple tone generating device could be useful.

Dive buddies could work out a simple series of signals, such as:

Three tones to get someone's attention.

Alternating long and short tones means return to the boat (or surface).

etc.

I know sound carries well in water.

Has anyone thought of this or tried this? Is there anything out there like this already?

I'm also thinking in terms of diving outside of the visible range of your buddy, like in low-viz conditions. Far enough away that the human voice (regulator-talk) wouldn't carry.

I'm thinking that active sonar pinging would fit the bill...

OTS has a full line of the high tech doodads. Their diver recall system is probably something similar to what you're thinking of, but it sounds like you're looking at a something an individual diver carries.

Distraction once bubbled...
I'm also thinking in terms of diving outside of the visible range of your buddy, like in low-viz conditions.
I would not recommend diving outside of the visable range of your buddy, what if you or your buddy gets in a situation where one of you needs immediate help and you are unable to signal audibly or with your lights???? I firmly believe in keeping watch on your buddy, however, there are diving conditions in which viz is so bad that it is hard to see your buddy even at very close range, and in these situations we use buddy-lines. You might also want to consider the fact that the location of sound underwater can be very difficult to pinpoint, which once again adds to your response time in getting to your buddy.....Just a thought.......

They are put in-line with the BC inflater and make a hell of a lot of noise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom