Underwater video music whine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For video competitions, it is rare that a solely music video ever wins anything. A film, long or short, still needs a narrative and direction otherwise you usually have a series of video photographs. I've judged several competitions on the national and international level and I can't recall when a music video last took a prize. Never the less, as Ronscuba says, learn your NLE which will speed up your workflow tremendously and have fun with it. If you do not enjoy the editing process it might not be for you.
Steve

First off all, I HATE photo videos. If I want to see your slideshow, don't tell me it's a video.

OK, that off my chest...... Music sets the tone and the feel for the video you are watching. Bad music is worse than no music, but I don't like voice overs either. No music can be VERY boring though.

Here is a video from a grand cayman dive...

[video=youtube;SJ_60eaolVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_60eaolVE[/video]

It's a basic helmet cam video, so no major production....

Captions instead of voiceover.

As far as music goes …… those blessed with the gift of hearing can do just fine without the head banging heavy metal crap playing while a turtle casually cruises along thankyouverymuch.

I've done a few videos.

Here is a shorty I did, no captions, as I was playing with the white balance options in iMovie (in my experience the Cineform WB is crap with gopro video).

I listen more for the tempo of the music. The actual song is secondary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f84oew2d1gQ&hd=1

Last edited:
Well, this is a timely thread. I just got some GoPro's & a 3D housing & have been mulling over what, if anything, to do with the sound.

I'm a bluegrass/old time musician and was thinking of just laying down some fiddle tunes for grins.

I'm not sure how bluegrass jives with scuba, but figure my musician friends can ignore the video and scuba friends hit the mute.

Opinions?

Honestly, if I clicked on a scuba video an I heard bluegrass I would probably just click the back button. Even if you are the greatest musician around, if it doesn't fit the flow of the video, it doesn't work.

Danpass, I liked your video. Mine was shot with a Tachyon, but I think the GoPros have better video quality after comparing the two.

I haven't been making videos for very long, so I am still at the point where I like listening to my bubbles :)

The breathing/bubble thing can be fine, depending on circumstances (it's what you like that's important). It doesn't work, however, if you have a video made from a string of short clips, as the audio from one clip is unlikely to match the audio from the next clip. As an alternative, you can record a breathing sequence that is longer than the video you are producing. Then, just replace the audio from the smaller clips with the longer sequence. A drawback here, unfortunately, is that it is hard to make the breathing change appropriately with the action (we breathe differently when a turtle drifts by in the distance than when a shark gives a bump).

I haven't been making videos for very long, so I am still at the point where I like listening to my bubbles :)

Hehe audio selection in dive videos is a very polarizing thing, I don't do voice overs because I hate the sound of my own voice when its played back, same reason I keep myself behind the camera most of the time :D

I use music or just original audio and even with music I will normally keep some of the original audio in it. I try to find something that fits the video but that's just my opinion and there will be always someone that hates it and hopefully at least someone else will like it lol.

Im not trying to win awards and have no intention of entering any contests, I just like diving and I like editing so I make videos of my dives or whatever and if I think some others may like them I will post them online. Not many have said they hate the audio selections Ive made and most of the time I try to cut the video to fit the music in some way but not always.

Its a hobby and most of us learn more with each video and I like peoples opinions either way, I have yet to be hurt by any comment and most of the time just after I upload a video I wish I had done something a little different so my own criticism of my work is harsher then anything someone else has said about any of it so far.

Some of my experimental edits in my video comparisons have given some criticism on audio effects or editing decisions made, some I agree with others I agree to disagree lol. Music choices for uploading to youtube are a bit tricky as using audio you don't have rights to can block your video and not all of us have a voice for radio though I may have a head for it or a full orchestra to provide some cinematic music which we have fully written ourselves.

Here is one of my older shaky cam GoPro videos with music cut to fit the video, I prefer this style mostly and the music was provided to me by the artist to use in some of my videos. I think it fits ok but it wont suit everyone's taste no matter what.

Here is one with mainstream commercial music you probably wont like, but I just went to the concert the week before editing this and I like the song so that's what I used. :D

And here is one with just the original sounds.

I mix it up to how I feel it should be at the time, none of my videos are in need of a voice over as text does that if I feel I need to give some further information. I think a picture tells a thousand words so I let the pictures tell the story using music or sound effects to add to the atmosphere a little so that the video isn't too boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom