Underwater Welder Fatality - North Dakota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Drowned diver working on Parshall water intake
A Minnesota man who drowned in Lake Sakakawea Wednesday was making repairs to the city of Parshall’s water intake structure when the accident occurred.

The body of Joseph Patrick Gould, 32, of Brook Park, Minn., was retrieved and taken to the State Medical Examiner’s office for an autopsy, said McLean County Sheriff Don Charging.

The intake was about 125 feet below the lake surface and it appears Gould’s diving equipment became tangled and he couldn’t come to the surface. Charging said the usual communication system failed and his surface support was alerted to trouble when Gould tugged on his lines.

A coworker who went down was unable to untangle him, Charging said.

He described Gould as an experienced underwater welder who worked for Midco Diving Co. of Rapid City, S.D.

Charging said one of his deputies and investigators from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration were at the scene Friday.

I looked at several other articles, but it isn't clear if the welder was alive or dead when the coworker tried to free him. If he was still alive, why couldn't the coworker supply more air? Did the coworker not have surface communication also? If the pull line was a safety measure, and the welder used that as a last resort, did that not signal he was in trouble and bring help? I hope more details come out of this story. I know a few underwater welders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom