Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FDog's great review of the MK3: LINK

OK, I used the DUI 400G, dry gloves and 12MM wet hood this weekend. Also real Argon (not sure if that really gives any benefit or not...)

Day 1: 62 mins @ 48F followed by 45 mins at 48F (Tacoma, WA)
Day 2: two cold boat rides out to Dalco wall in Tacoma, followed by a 62 min dive 46-48. 30 min ride out to Z's reef in the raid followed by 62 mins @ 46F

All with soaked right arm due to leaking dry gloves.

Conclusion: the 400G thinsulate works really well. At no point was any part of my torso cold (except on the boat). Right hand was cold, toes a bit chilly (but I think water made its way down there)

Coldest I expect to dive is 44F on the bottom, so I am good with the 400 it seems.
I also have good mobility (can clip stages on surface and reach valves on surface and U/W)

Mobility is a bit less than the 200G+200 vest but thats to be expected.,

Interesting thread. Keep on posting, peeps!

For our (comparatively) warmer SoCal waters, I'm currently leaning towards picking up the Exotherm Artic.

One other thing I'd be very interested in reading about is a comparison of the various base layer undergarment options: Comparing Capilene (both level 3 and level 4) to Under Armor to the thinner 4th Element stuff to Carol Davis... etc.

Something to think about since y'all are doing so well with the thick undie reviews. :)

Interesting thread. Keep on posting, peeps!

For our (comparatively) warmer SoCal waters, I'm currently leaning towards picking up the Exotherm Artic.

One other thing I'd be very interested in reading about is a comparison of the various base layer undergarment options: Comparing Capilene (both level 3 and level 4) to Under Armor to the thinner 4th Element stuff to Carol Davis... etc.

Something to think about since y'all are doing so well with the thick undie reviews. :)

generally I dont think of my base layer giving warmth, just trying to keep some of the sweat off of me and the undergarments.

For Socal in 99% of cases the DUI 200G thinsulate with an added vest is sufficient for me, with either 3mm wet gloves or dry gloves. Always a 12MM hood.

this is good for me down to about 52-54Fs for 60-70 min runtimes.
Anything lower than 52 (or for cold surface conditions) and the 400 comes out.

I want to try the Exotherm stuff but I am not going to buy it until I know it "works" and I am confused by all the layers. A buddy has some here and she is cold but says she only has 1 of the multiple (up to 4?) layers -- just seems like a hassle to me

generally I dont think of my base layer giving warmth, just trying to keep some of the sweat off of me and the undergarments.

For Socal in 99% of cases the DUI 200G thinsulate with an added vest is sufficient for me, with either 3mm wet gloves or dry gloves. Always a 12MM hood.

this is good for me down to about 52-54Fs for 60-70 min runtimes.
Anything lower than 52 (or for cold surface conditions) and the 400 comes out.

I want to try the Exotherm stuff but I am not going to buy it until I know it "works" and I am confused by all the layers. A buddy has some here and she is cold but says she only has 1 of the multiple (up to 4?) layers -- just seems like a hassle to me

The Fourth Element system is indeed many layers, and I'm not 100% clear on that aspect, either. There is the base layer (their "drybase"... similar to Capilene Level 3, as I understand it), the Xerotherm XT250 layer (a thinnish layer, perhaps close to the Carol Davis in warmth? and the Xerotherm Arctic, which is the warmest, thickest layer. It seems clear that it works well as a layering system, but what's not clear is if the people who are raving are only wearing the Arctics or are wearing both the Xerotherm XT250 (the latter number is a new part of the name) and the Arctics. It's clear from the Fourth Element website that they are designed to layer well, but not clear is if the people who are raving are actually doing do.

And then there is the new one coming out next month, the Fourth Element SubXero (now on their website!), which is apparently way too hot for SoCal, according to Richard at Xtreme Scuba, who is one of the few people to actually try it (and who currently has the only demo in the U.S. sitting in his shop). Sounds like that one may indeed be too warm, which is a shame because I really like the features and setup better than the Arctics.

No easy answers. Grrr. I just know that my DUI PowerStretch, even with the Carol Davis underlayer, is just barely cutting it with the low-50 degree temps we're seeing now. Just barely, meaning I'm cold, but it's tolerable. I'd rather not be cold, however... but I don't want to look like a michelin man and add 20 lbs of lead to accomplish that goal if I can avoid it!

No easy answers. Grrr. I just know that my DUI PowerStretch, even with the Carol Davis underlayer, is just barely cutting it with the low-50 degree temps we're seeing now. Just barely, meaning I'm cold, but it's tolerable. I'd rather not be cold, however... but I don't want to look like a michelin man and add 20 lbs of lead to accomplish that goal if I can avoid it!

Easy solution: look for a cheap (factory 2nd) 200G thinsulate or 150-300 fleece vest (no arms)

will keep the torso warm, wont break the bank and you can take it off when you start sweating in summer :)

Easy solution: look for a cheap (factory 2nd) 200G thinsulate or 150-300 fleece vest (no arms)

will keep the torso warm, wont break the bank and you can take it off when you start sweating in summer :)

I've considered it, but I really want something I can wash. I've tried to avoid the thinsulates for that reason, and that's part of the appeal of the fourth element line for me. (that, and I like the look!) (and the rumored warmth, of course)

Back
Top Bottom