Undocumented wreck numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just learning here so be nice.

Is there a unspoken rule pertaining to unpublished wreck numbers. I've been doing some reading on this board and a Spearfishing board, and it seems like you need to belong to some secret society to get the low down, and GPS numbers to any good wrecks.

If there is such a thing how do I get a membership. Is it like file/mp3 sharing where you need to bring somethig to the table??

for what it's worth, I don't spear fish, and I'm not looking to be Mel Fisher either. I am a history buff, and a few collectables would be cool. I can honestly tell you that published site or not, if I ever found anything of historic value It would be sold to a museum ,where it would no doubt belong, for us all to enjoy. :D

BTW, I have my own boat, so I wouldn't need to give numbers to a charter to get me out there, and I don't mind trolling for a day or two looking for something on the depth finder.(so I have something to bring to the table)

There's no secret club, learn and dive, make friends with divers doing the types of dives you want to do. Within a few years you'll know more secret spots that you can shake a stick at, as well as understand why its hard for a newb to find such information.

Already have that one, and yes, good book.

I've been metal detecting on the beach for about 2yrs so when I was certified ( to dive that is:wacko: ) last year I had the same thought's you did. I've done some research and found that there isn't any easy way to find an unknown wreck. There is however several places that can give lists of known wrecks for a fee of course. But if you want to take the time you can get info from the library of Congress and NOAA that may point you to a wreck that has been forgotten. I'm in the St. Augustine area and I know one of the best sources for finding out what may be on the sea floor are shrimper's. They drag nets and if there's something on the bottom they know about it. They may or may not know exactly what an object is and it may or may not be a shipwreck but combined with the research mentioned above it could help pin point a dive site. I've been able to find a few sites that I hope to dive this summer. Well all that and 3 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks but if I can help let me know.

wreckdiver1715:
The answers you seek can be found at treasurenet.com\Forums.

very cool site, thanks.

Narcosis,

Good to have a boat..if you have shrimpers working the general area you're interest in, go to a good marine chart store and ask them for the newest edition of the "Hang Book". It is what shrimpers use while dragging and navigating to avoid the "hangs" Take a look at the Loran C or GPS coordinates you might be interest in and within the limitations of your boat. Then you're ready to buy some shrimpers some beer and ask them about various locations. Those spots can be amazing!

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom