Unidentified Anacapa invert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I were diving in Cathedral Cove at Anacapa Island, CA last Friday, and came across this mystery critter on the rocks at about 25' deep. It was about three or four inches long. It doesn't look like anything in my nudibranch ID book, so no help there. My wife thinks it might be a baby sea cucumber, but it seems awfully "hairy" to me as opposed to the spiky protrusions seen on an adult cuke. Sorry I can't post a better photo, but I was shooting video that day and this was the best frame capture I could get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reeveseye:
My wife and I were diving in Cathedral Cove at Anacapa Island, CA last Friday, and came across this mystery critter on the rocks at about 25' deep. It was about three or four inches long. It doesn't look like anything in my nudibranch ID book, so no help there. My wife thinks it might be a baby sea cucumber, but it seems awfully "hairy" to me as opposed to the spiky protrusions seen on an adult cuke. Sorry I can't post a better photo, but I was shooting video that day and this was the best frame capture I could get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It looks very similar to a bearded fireworm but not as bristly. Is that just a result of the vidcap?

Looks like White Sea Cucumber (Eupentacta quinquesemita)
Found from Alaska to Baja California.
reference: Pacfic Coast Subtidal Marine Invertebrates
By: Daniel W. Gotshall and Laurence L. Laurent
Page:96 #151

No, the vidcap is a little overexposed, but that's what the critter looked like. I looked up both bearded fireworms and white sea cucumbers, and I think it's definitely a cucumber. The fireworm photos I saw showed an organism that was way too "fuzzy" to be what I saw. Thanks to both of you for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom