United Airline "Special Baggage Handling Fee"??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm flying from LAX to PNS with my scuba gear and just reviewed United's baggage policy.

Apparently, scuba gear is not considered part of the "normal baggage allowance" (ie: $25 for first checked bag). Scuba gear is considered "special" and is charged $100 to check.

Has anyone seen strict enforcement of this policy when flying on United Airline and within the US with their scuba gear as checked baggage?? (Basically, I'm wondering if anyone's snuck their gear through checked baggage without the $100 charge?)

Thanks in advance

It will be interesting to see what you come up with. I have never had any airline ask what was in a checked bag. I usually travel Continental (soon to be merged with United). My Presidential Plus card gets me two checked bags free. I could see having restrictions on tanks, but my gear fits in a legal size and weight rolling duffel, as long as I pack my reg in my carryon.

I have never heard of any airline passengers getting charged a special handling fee for transporting scuba gear that still met weight and size dimensions for regular checked luggage.

Like herbdb, I have never been asked by a ticketing agent whether I had packed scuba gear in my checked luggage.

If an airline representative wanted to try to charge the "special item handling fee" ($100), how would that person react if you classified the stuff as "snorkeling gear" (provided that you aren't transporting a tank and your reg is in your carry-on)?

OK - I just saw and read through the "Travel Discussion" section. Didn't know SB had a section specially dedicated to "travel" issues.

Anyway, from a 2006 thread, it said the same thing you guys said. Basically, (airline agents) don't ask, (I) don't tell - the contents of my checked bag. I guess the policy has been around for a while. I had no idea cuz AA allows scuba gear as part of your first checked bag fee (of course as long as it meets dimension and weight restriction).

I guess bottom line is: I'll pack my gear in a non-scuba luggage (my akona bag will have to stay home) and make my gear incognito.

Thanks for your quick responses.

LOL I take mine all over the place in one that says oceanic all over it with scuba tags that boast diver all over them. I was once questioned though when they did a random search on the gear (They were doing like every other passenger) of all the questions they could have asked they said "Are you planning on going diving?"

I thought about saying "No I was actually just going to put on all the gear and go eat at a seafood restraunt so I could look more at home"

When it says scuba gear though I think they are talking more along the lines of extreme sensitive gear things like rebreathers and special dive items that require special handling to assure they are not damaged during flight. Most of this has become obsolete though with the newer modern dive gear that has become so small it fits conveniently in carry ons. But I would not volunteer any information on whats in the bag. Never know who they are going to tell thats looking for a new dive set.

Reactions: Jax
If an airline representative wanted to try to charge the "special item handling fee" ($100), how would that person react if you classified the stuff as "snorkeling gear" (provided that you aren't transporting a tank and your reg is in your carry-on)?

Just tell them your not going to go scuba diving your doing a photo shoot to advertise all the latest gear on the beach. It wont never touch the water :eyebrow:

When it says scuba gear though I think they are talking more along the lines of extreme sensitive gear things like rebreathers and special dive items that require special handling to assure they are not damaged during flight.

Thanks. and just as an FYI, this is off United's chart under: "Items with Extra Handling Charges" and then if you click on the "View Fee Information" it says $100, just craziness:

Scuba equipment

Allowance/requirements
2 fins
1 mask
1 knife
1 snorkel
1 regulator
1 safety vest
1 spear gun
1 pressure gauge
1 tank harness
1 empty tank (max. pressure
40 psi)

View fee information

Maximum weight/size
50 pounds/62 linear inches
(23 kg/158 linear cm)

Holly cow it is outdated. Snorkel? (let me go get my dictionary and look that up as I have I think heard of one of those before LOL)

a 40 psi tank? Sheeesh thats not even a breathe???? and safety vest and not a bcd.

Wow thats interesting but you know the way these airlines are using deception and unfair price policies to lure people to fly it does not surprise me.

I mean they sale you a ticket for say 200 dollars. But then they charge you 25 dollars a bag and if you want any kind of leg room its an up charge and if you want a rock hard stale sandwich its almost 5 dollars. you cant bring outside drinks in so in some cases it cost more to buy a soda on the concourse then it does a beer in a bar.

I think they should do away with the immoral deception practices they use to sale you a ticket then charge 25 or more dollars for baggage. Thats plain wrong!

I think this comes from the days when some sporting gear - mainly golf clubs- were not counted as part of your luggage, you could max out on luggage and then add a golf bag for free. If you look around almost every airline has a similar policy. I have done dozens of flights on 5 or 6 different carriers and none of them have ever ask. Bottom line is, what is in your bag is none of the airlines business as long as it meets their weight limits and TSA doesn't care as long as it not prohibited. Tanks do get their attention however and I can see no good reason to ever fly with them and make sure your dive knife/shears are in your checked baggage. Firearms are the only thing you need to declare at the counter......spearguns might be a good idea as well just becuase how they will look on a x-ray. Pack the gear in a plain luggage, keep your mouth shut and go.

Why would you tell them its scuba gear? If you don't... then they won't charge you for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom