United red eye canceled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to my itinerary, I have to pay the extra baggage fees twice - once out of Halifax, once out of Newark, because I'm doing the overnight in Newark. The other option, of routing through Houston, was a bit of a disaster as I would have had two very very short connections... and seriously, I'm flying out of CANADA in WINTER. >:/

Has anyone actually been charged the double baggage fees? Is there a way to get around this? My travel agent contacted United and was basically told I'm SOL, although they did offer a lounge pass for the "inconvenience"... I understand the baggage fees = revenue and a lounge pass = no loss in revenue, but I would much rather have the baggage fees waived for the EWR-BON flight.

*&^%$ - this is going to affect us, too! didn't think of that, and yes, we'll be flying out Canada in Winter. well thanks for the warning.... let's just hope we all get there with our gear

*&^%$ - this is going to affect us, too! didn't think of that, and yes, we'll be flying out Canada in Winter. well thanks for the warning.... let's just hope we all get there with our gear

I'm just really annoyed by the principle of the matter. It's the fact that I have this unexpected overnight and the assorted financial/opportunity costs associated with it (hotel, food at hotel, less diving time in BON, etc.)... then they refuse to waive the extra baggage fees which were only incurred because of their scheduling snafus. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I read somewhere that the reason for the cancelation of the redeye was the FAA changing/increasing the rule requiring flight crews sleep time.

I understand that they gotta do what they gotta do, and that some things are unavoidable... But, they should have at least NOTIFIED the people that have already booked and would obviously be affected by the change. I've seen, what, one person who said they were actually notified? The rest of us, nada. THAT'S what chaps my arse about all this. Luckily, most of us either noticed the change ourselves, or found out about in on here or Bonaire Talk in enough time to make additional lodging and auto accommodations in advance. But imagine the cluster f* going on in the past week when people didn't realize it until the day before or day of their trip! What a friggin' mess!

I understand that they gotta do what they gotta do, and that some things are unavoidable... But, they should have at least NOTIFIED the people that have already booked and would obviously be affected by the change. I've seen, what, one person who said they were actually notified? The rest of us, nada. THAT'S what chaps my arse about all this. Luckily, most of us either noticed the change ourselves, or found out about in on here or Bonaire Talk in enough time to make additional lodging and auto accommodations in advance. But imagine the cluster f* going on in the past week when people didn't realize it until the day before or day of their trip! What a friggin' mess!
We were notified by our travel agent, who helped us figure out alternative flights, and initiated an insurance claim for the associated costs. I am so glad we always book through CAA. It's worth it to have someone who knows what they're doing.

I guess United missed a payoff check to the FAA rule makers.....of course we are the big losers. Rest time should be reduced not increased....Why? Cuz the planes have much more automatic avionics now a days (including landing and taking off capability) than when Lindberg flew across the Atlantic. What does the copilot do anyway? Sounds like railroad featherbedding to me. Literally....... Does the FAA know what a UAV is??????

I posted the following yesterday on BonaireTalk and a couple of people have already found United to be more cooperative and accommodating in issuing hotel vouchers or changing itineraries. I hope it's useful for someone here too. Sorry I didn't think to post it earlier.

Anyone requesting compensation from United due to this schedule change should familiarize themselves with United's Rule 24 of their Contract of Carriage. The CoC is basically the contract between the airline and passengers when a ticket is purchased. This contract, and more specifically the terms defined in Rule 24, determine if/how United responds to flight delays, schedule changes, and aircraft changes. In this case you should familiarize yourselves with the Rule 24 definition of "schedule irregularity" and the corresponding "amenities for delayed passengers", which includes overnight accommodations.

You'll be surprised how much more responsive United customer service representatives will be when you're speaking their lingo. It's also much harder for them to pretend that they don't know why they should pay for your overnight hotel during transit.

http://www.united.com/web/format/pdf...f_Carriage.pdf

Hi all, just a quick update. Michael and I were one of the fortunate few to have had our United Redeye flight changed to an overnight in Newark. As it turned out, it was soooo wonderful to not only stay overnight on Newark as we were able to make a quick trip into Manhattan for some of the Superbowl festivities on Time Square, but, we also woke up on the AM, rested and ready to go to Bonaire. Also, since United payed for the hotel stay at a very nice Ramada more the better ! Arriving to the Flamingo airport and on to the GooodDive Resort in the afternoon was so delightful as we were not rushed to get the day started immediately upon arrival. In fact, we didn't get started until the following afternoon. Since then, we have been happy with several great dives and wonderful warm weather. So, off we go for today!!

Back
Top Bottom