Unknown goby/blenny from Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding of the Emblemariopsis (which comes mainly from a number of emails from Ben Victor and reading a few of his papers, as best I could:)!,) is pretty much like you have stated. Apparently there are at least 5-6 species and from what Ben says looking at the photos we have sent him at least 3-4 are in Cayman, perhaps more. I have no photos of the male E bahamensis but do have some , not that god, of E. ruetzleri. Also have some of the male E leptocirrus and what maybe E carib.these guys are more red colors on the head and spine except of the course the blackhead males as opposed to the E.ruetzleri that seem to be more blue, green gold in color.As I understand it it will take DNA to sort out the species that are in the Caribbean.

My wife and I and our god friend/dive buddy Cindy were involved managed to get permits to collect the white footed shrimp in collaboration with Dr. Sammy De Grave back in 2009. We would be happy to try get permit from DOE to collect these blennies for DNA but need someone who is has the credentials and grants to do the DNA and write the papers.

Attachments

• White foot shrimp.pdf
    422.7 KB · Views: 295
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom