Unpredictable currents at Cantarell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_bayer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We had a bit of a hairy dive on Sunday at Cantarell. About a minute into the dive we ran into a swirling down current that brought the group down to 100-116 feet.

We spent the next 6 minutes swimming as hard as we could to get back up to the wall without much progress. Visibility was pretty bad as all you could see was a wall of bubbles in every direction
you looked. One of the divers thought his gear failed and dropped his weights. After looking for him for a minute the DM called the dive and we came up after 8 min.

Thankfully he was already back on the boat when we surfaced. We all sucked back about 800 pounds of air in 8 min.

I ended up losing a weight pocket in the chaos (no idea how, perhaps the Velcro is losing its grip). So if anyone has a spare I'd be happy to get it.

Seaquest Velcro Weight Pocket f/Pro QD, Balance, Diva QD, Diva LX, Pro Unlimited

Nedless to say, we saw no eagle rays that day so I decided to try again Tuesday morning.

This time the idea was to drop down to the big crack and hang out for thirty min.

We dropped in to find the current reversed and swam hard for twenty min to get to the crack.

We had about ten min at the top of the crack about 80 feet and saw one group swimming north. So another bit of a let down compared to last march.

[video=youtube_share;ZJcmLiJ5Ir4]http://youtu.be/ZJcmLiJ5Ir4[/video]

Off with Tres Pelicanos this afternoon for one more try. lol

You must have been on the Aldora boat that day.

That was a dive around 330 PM?

lol - how did you know? Apparently the Dive with Martin boat had the same problem that morning!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Glad I wasn't in that down current. Say "Hi' to Jorge for me and here's hoping you get lots more eagles through the lens.

Wow.

Never did the north, Aldora thought it prudent to keep our 12yr old Junior diver well within his 60' depth restriction. Can't wait to go back to Coz when he's 15 and we can dive some of the more advanced dives.

Strange, we had been there 4 times in the two weeks before and there was virtually no current at depth. We back rolled on top of the wall and only had to slightly kick to stay on the edge. You did not need to hold on when we were at the best viewing area.You never know, generally lots of current there. It sure was enjoyable. Glad your dive ended safely.

We had a bit of a hairy dive on Sunday at Cantarell. About a minute into the dive we ran into a swirling down current that brought the group down to 100-116 feet.

We spent the next 6 minutes swimming as hard as we could to get back up to the wall without much progress. Visibility was pretty bad as all you could see was a wall of bubbles in every direction
you looked. One of the divers thought his gear failed and dropped his weights. After looking for him for a minute the DM called the dive and we came up after 8 min.

Thankfully he was already back on the boat when we surfaced. We all sucked back about 800 pounds of air in 8 min.

I ended up losing a weight pocket in the chaos (no idea how, perhaps the Velcro is losing its grip). So if anyone has a spare I'd be happy to get it.

Seaquest Velcro Weight Pocket f/Pro QD, Balance, Diva QD, Diva LX, Pro Unlimited

Nedless to say, we saw no eagle rays that day so I decided to try again Tuesday morning.

This time the idea was to drop down to the big crack and hang out for thirty min.

We dropped in to find the current reversed and swam hard for twenty min to get to the crack.

We had about ten min at the top of the crack about 80 feet and saw one group swimming north. So another bit of a let down compared to last march.

[video=youtube_share;ZJcmLiJ5Ir4]http://youtu.be/ZJcmLiJ5Ir4[/video]

Off with Tres Pelicanos this afternoon for one more try. lol

lol - how did you know? Apparently the Dive with Martin boat had the same problem that morning!

I have sources. Two of whom were on the dive with you. Or was it three?

I experienced tough currents at Canterell on March 1st. Currents were pushing us down and away from the wall. The entire dive was a struggle. My dive lasted almost 8 minutes got to 105 feet and used 800 pounds. Very unsettling! We were all exhausted and after a long SI decided to relax on our next dive and go to Paradise. That was a relaxing long dive.

I experienced tough currents at Canterell on March 1st. Currents were pushing us down and away from the wall. The entire dive was a struggle. My dive lasted almost 8 minutes got to 105 feet and used 800 pounds. Very unsettling! We were all exhausted and after a long SI decided to relax on our next dive and go to Paradise. That was a relaxing long dive.

lol - we ended up at Paradise as well after dropping one of the divers off at villa aldora. She was done for the day. We still got a long dive with what was left in our tanks.

I chatted with three of your boat mates, too, mike_bayer. Quite a ride y'all had.

I've been lucky enough to head up to the eagles a handful of times this spring, and so far, I've experienced mild currents.
Going in a few hours, so I'm glad to have the heads-up. I'll be sure the DM is aware of recent conditions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom