Unpredictable currents at Cantarell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, make sure to stick close together as the currents can easily push you apart quickly.

We did two more dives at Cantarell yesterday with Jorge @ Tres Pelicanos @ Tunaman68 and daughter.

The current was strong but manageable, just make sure everyone has a DSMB. No swirling down currents yesterday.

We saw about 20 eagle rays total with the largest group at 9. I watched one swimming fast and looping around near the surface. Most were flying around the edge of the wall at 60-120 feet.

Tunaman68 and daughter were a bit farther behind us so they missed seeing the rays on the first dive. We decided to dive Cantarell again for the second instead of Barracuda or San Juan. I was fine with that since they had never seen the rays in Cozumel before and missed them on the first dive.

We all got to see about the same number of rays on the second dive.

Jorge's computer started into deco at about 35 min into the second dive so I still had about 900 after our safety stop. My computer had been locked up since the rollercoaster on Sunday but I had taken the prior day off. We got pushed in pretty fast once we came of off the top of the wall.

So again, stick close together when diving the north end.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was muy tranquilo today! Enough current that we enjoyed 20 or more sightings but not enough to cause any concern whatsoever.

We dove there last week with Aldora and saw dozens of Eagle Rays and only experienced moderate current and outstanding viz...that's the luck of the draw...two days previous to that epic dive the conditions not far from there were blown out and terrible. Barely able to dock the boat.

These sort of currents, most prevalent in spring, are the reason we are being so carful with our Polar Express and Sleeping Shark caves trips to the far north. Even at Cantarell and Barracuda our DMs always jump in first to "test the current" and that is especially so way up north. IT is not that the currents there are worse, they even be easier, but help or support up there is hard to find and we must rely on ourselves. On the other hand, we have never seen currents there that are dangerous for well prepared divers.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We had a blast with Mike and were very glad we got to give it a second try and succeeded! Magical experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom