Unpressurised Dry Suit for Shallow Surface Supplied Air Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah?

I see threads here when divers say that the squeeze isn't so bad down to 20m

the threads on here continue to become more and more interesting

It's a really bad idea unless there's a hard bottom at 12m. You will need a lot of extra weight to get down if you have enough air in the suit at the surface to keep any mobility and avoid pain.

Dip a few meters too far and you are going to be overweight so you'll be dropping and squeezed which is going to make dumping weight or adding air very difficult or impossible.

We could set up our own "ThreadBusters!" Jamie and Adam seemed to have a hoot

Well, I'm convinced it's not a good idea. Thank you all for the warnings!

>You do know that you can tee off the surface supplied hose and inflate your suit?

No, I had no idea that this was possible. I don't have much experience with the Airbuddy yet, and plan to have my spare air in sight at all times expecting the Airbuddy to try to kill me as soon as I relax, so it didn't occur to me.
It would be the perfect solution to my problem if I could get some pressurised air from the hose for a dry suit!

On my first trip to dive the Doria (180' to the port rail) in 1995 a guy on the boat forgot to connect his drysuit inflator hose and did the dive vacuum packed. He had a neoprene drysuit and so some stretch. He came back looking like Frankenstein-every seam of the suit made a fiery red bruise which lasted the trip. Looked like he's been stitched together by a drunken dry cleaner. He didn't get hurt otherwise, but his ego sure took a pounding from everyone else on the boat. Definitely a rookie move sure to earn heaps of opprobrium.

He should have gone to "ThreadBusters!" but they say the Andrea Doria does that to you

While I'm asking questions that might save me from drowning myself, does anyone have any recommendations for finding a tee connector for LÜDECKE Quick Connect Couplings ES DN 7,2 [1]?

Presumably, I would then connect this tee connector to a hose like this one [2], and this hose to the dry suits regulator?

Thank you all so much, this has been incredibly valuable feedback and could really expand the times and places where I can go under the water!

[1] [2] Apeks Quick Connect CJEN Drysuit Inflation Hose – 3/8 Inch Bore – Flagship Scuba

I would get a drysuit tank 6 or 13 cuft with reg and hose and mount to belt.

I like redundancy, I like it a lot.

The thing is, I can charge the Airbuddy from solar panels (or, more realistically mains), and my spare air with a hand pump every so often, but refilling a regularly used drysuit tank with a hand pump is a lot more time consuming in the middle of a shoot on location.

I'd like to explore whether there is a plausible way of avoiding this, but accept that I might have to just bite the bullet.
Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom