Unrealistic Deco Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does your computer software also print out a tissue saturation simulation table? For example, for my Cobra 2, for a series of dives, I can not only look at the dive profiles, but also the nitrogen saturation of various tissue groups (it shows it in bar graph format, with normal being shown in green, saturation in red). Over a series of dives, I can trace how thick the red bars are, and watch how such things as moving from one depth to another effects them. Would be curious if your computer has this same capabilty, and what it would show. For example, if my computer goes into deco, and shows me stop and ceiling times, I can look at the graphs after I download the data, to see just exactly why it happened.

Just a thought that if you have this same capability you could trace through your four dive profiles and see what you computer was reading, and then adjust future diving accordingly.

ibj40: No, the data recorded by the computer is output in the attached spreadsheet. The computer shows "Nitrogen Bars" - I would assume the bars represent the highest saturation group. This shows up in the spreadsheet as NIBR or N Bar. Started the dive at 5 - went to 8 at deco. I'll have to look at the Cobra as I guess I am in the market for a new computer...

I want to emphasize that I am not blaming the computer for my blunder. I violated a dive principle that I hold dearly - without the correct equipment and planning, there is no question that this should have remained a no-deco dive. I screwed up. What I want out of my computer is a realistic approach to getting out of the mess I put myself into. I need to understand how 44 minutes at 10' is realistic given the dive situation. Is this a softare glitch or is this the way the software engineers intended to manage decompression. If the latter - and other are indicating it may be so - I need to search for another computer.

I think post #9 was pretty clear on what happened. As for if the computer was trully telling you to leave where you were at and head to 10' the it's calculations are correwct because it is not basing your deco obligations on the proposed 10' it is basing them on the depth you were at. and as you ascended your time increased as it would have with any computer. Usually from computers I have seen if in deco they would not tell you to go right from 45~ to 10' I have to assume either your computer is wrong or you simply mis read it. As you said you are not familiar with Deco and so you probably do not know how to read your computer when it goes into deco because the screens change "or typically" do once your there.

I have to believe that if you would have remained at the spot for those first 4 minutes and watched the computer you would have seen it then show an up arrow or something somwhere telling to ascend to this next depth in most cases it would have told you 30~ for X-minutes etc.. The only thing you can do at this point is download the dive onto your computer and then you will see clearly what you did or did not do as there will be violations if you missed a stop and if no violations then will show Y the time got high. Maybe also take a look at the manuel as to how your computer will operate once it goes into deco mode.

ibj40: No, the data recorded by the computer is output in the attached spreadsheet. The computer shows "Nitrogen Bars" - I would assume the bars represent the highest saturation group. This shows up in the spreadsheet as NIBR or N Bar. Started the dive at 5 - went to 8 at deco. I'll have to look at the Cobra as I guess I am in the market for a new computer...

I want to emphasize that I am not blaming the computer for my blunder. I violated a dive principle that I hold dearly - without the correct equipment and planning, there is no question that this should have remained a no-deco dive. I screwed up. What I want out of my computer is a realistic approach to getting out of the mess I put myself into. I need to understand how 44 minutes at 10' is realistic given the dive situation. Is this a softare glitch or is this the way the software engineers intended to manage decompression. If the latter - and other are indicating it may be so - I need to search for another computer.

I have to admit that my "knowledge" of the Cobra 2 is based on a similar experience. I moved from a Suunto Eon to the Cobra 2 and didn't realize the difference in logic. On my first dives with it, I went into deco on our second dive and ended up with 15 minutes of hang time, while everyone else sat on the boat and waited. I had plenty of air, so just had to wait it out. It taught me how to "dive" my Cobra, and to heed the warnings it was giving me to ensure it never happens again.

:)

a22shady: The computer was telling me to go to 10' and stop for 4 minutes. I did not mis-read it. I posted the spreadsheet output from my computer - Stop Depth: 10' Deco Time: 4 minutes. attached is a screen shot of the data directly from Sherwood's software.

On a couple of other comments you made: I never said I was not familiar with Deco. I am. That is why I am questioning what the computer was telling me to do. I don't use a computer without understanding how to use it. I did download the data from the dive and I am trying to analyze the outcome - hence this post. I have read the manual - several times - and have gone back to it a number of times when questions like these arise. I've been diving computers since my first Edge in 1988. I've used several versions of Orca Pilots and currently use Nitrox Pilots as backup. And I've used several other brands of computers over the years. Just as a point of reference, I have nearly 800 dives using various computers and more than that using tables. I am not exactly new to this. I screw up on one dive (well, I've likely screwed up more than that) and I want to understand why I got the outcome I did. It does not make sense to me. Perhaps I have my head in the sand on this one, but I don't think so.

Attachments

• 30Apr10_Dive4_Sherwood.jpg
    30Apr10_Dive4_Sherwood.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 81
WetLens,

Let me first emphasize that I'm not trying to dog you - I'm trying to explain an answer to your question regarding 'why you wound up with 43 minutes of deco obligation on your computer'. Not knowing what you know and what you don't know requires some assumptions to be made on my part, which may or may not be valid.

The bottom line is that while I am not familiar with your computer, I am very familiar with decompression software and I dive with Ross Hemingway's V-Planner - whose website I commend to your attention if you are interested in a deeper understanding of computer models:
V-Planner VPM & VPM-B & VPMB & VPM-B/E dive decompression software

Based on my familiarity with decompression software, I conclude that your computer may not have malfunctioned in giving you a deco time of 43 minutes under the circumstances you describe. It's just an opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Doc: Thanks for taking the time to respond. I did not put this post in the deco thread as I was not looking to get into an in-depth discussion of decompression theory - I was trying to understand why my gage reacted the way it did - which I do not believe to be based in decompression theory.
WetLens, the reason why your computer reacted the way it did is in fact due to it's decompression algorithm - into which the computer loaded the specific variables that led it to calculate that 43 minutes of deco at 10'. The algorithm in your computer, in turn, is in fact based on decompression theory.

I am having trouble following your logic - primarily on the "missed" deco stop. I did not "miss" a deco stop - I cut it short, but that is much later in the dive. That is another topic altogether - one that may belong in the deco section. Let me see if I follow this logic... Ascend from 47' to 46' and stop for 4 minutes. The average depth of the dive to this point was 47'. The maximum depth of the dive was 59'. Why would I "stop" at 46'? This would simply add more time to my deco obligation.
Actually, no it might not. Decompression software such as V-Planner provides a "depth at which the diver begins to offgas". This depth is a variable that depends on total nitrogen loading over time and deepest depth - it identifies point along a curve (on ascent) where ambient pressure begins to allow gas to come out of solution and offgassing begins. Unless you worked the dive out in advance (or dived that profile routinely) you might not know when that point in your dive would be reached - but I suspect your computer was telling you that at 1:08, at a depth of 46', based on your total residual nitrogen loading, you needed to hold 46' for 4 minutes as a deco stop.

When you began your ascent at 1:10, about a minute and a half later, as shown on your computer's dive profile (your second attachment), you in effect omitted 4 minutes of decompression - or "missed a deco stop", or "cut short a stop" - that your computer was telling you needed to be made. It is not just a matter of semantics. You did not remain at 46' for 4 minutes to offgas. Consequently the computer compounded your deco obligation.

Looking at the matrix you attached, and watching the deco times as you ascended, this is the only explanation that makes sense with regard to why your times increased geometrically.

I assume you have not gone into deco very often previously? Lets look at two quotes:

"Situation: 4th dive of the day and started the dive with 5 NIBR. 1:08 into the dive (avg depth 47') went into deco (current depth - 46'; deco obligation - 4 minutes). Notified my buddy of the need to ascend and began ascent at 1:10 (current depth - 44'; deco obligation - 24 minutes!). Hit roughly 10' at 1:13 well within ascent rate deco obligation 43 minutes!!!!!"

"At 1:08 the computer was telling me to go to 10' and spend 4 minutes. [In all honesty, I likely did not see the computer at this point - it was probably at the 1:09 mark, perhaps even 1:10, before I recognized the situation.]"
Again, while I'm not familiar with your specific computer, I suspect your computer was telling you to hold a 4 minute deco stop at 46'. Had you done so, it is probable that you could have thereafter ascended without adding to your deco obligation.

Take another look at the second graphic you attached, which portrays your dive profile. Note that at 1:08 it goes into red - signifying that at that point you had a deco obligation. A deco curve does not look like your dive profile thereafter, which shows your ascent beginning directly afterward. A planned deco curve is smoother and does not have that sudden vertical ascent that your dive profile illustrates. I believe your computer was trying to tell you to hold 46' for 4 minutes in addition to whatever deco stops it showed you at 20' and 10' - because your computer calculated that you were in fact already offgassing N2 at 46'.

Again, I fail to see how I "missed" every stop between 45' and 10'. The computer was telling me to go to 10' - and I was, a bit slower than it wanted me to. My ascent rate was about 10 feet per minute due to following the slope of the bottom. When we hit the area of the boat, my direct ascent to the 10' stop was in the 26-30 feet per minute range. I understand that ascent rate is part of the decompression process. As it was slower than the theoretical 30' per minute, it was rightfully counting my ascent time as a continuation of the dive. I can accept that. What I can't accept is the rate at which it added the required 10' decompression stop time. This is where I cannot find logic.
Typically, though perhaps not in every case, deco profiles are calculated in 10' intervals during the ascent. I suspect - as noted above - that your computer was not telling you to ascend directly to 10'. It was telling you to hold 46' for 4 minutes. When you did not do that, had you been watching it during the ascent, it would have told you to hold some other depth for some other time (during your ascent). The Wisdom would have calculated stops for 40', 30', and 20' - although I don't know if it was displaying any of these because your ascent rate would have required it to recalculate constantly. Because you did not see any recalculations or hold any deco stops at all during the ascent, and in fact you state:

"I skipped the "safety stop" at 20' and went directly to 10' just what the computer said to do."
I suspect that you possibly didn't understand that it wanted you to hold a deco stop at 46', and you failed to stop at 20', so you didn't hold what it would have given you as a deco stop at the 20' level, thus it piled all that omitted deco on you at the 10' stop - which is how you wound up with a 43 minute deco obligation at 10'. This is, based on my deco planning experience, the only explanation that makes sense. (But hell, I could be completely mistaken! :wink: )

I've reviewed the matrix you provided as attachment 1. I see your point in terms of the matrix displaying a 10' stop. (I'm not certain what your wrist display showed, but clearly the matrix has a default setting for 10' stops.) The explanation is inadequate based on that matrix alone, however, the explanation I've provided above (along with a22shady) is consistent with the behavior of decompression software that I'm familiar with, VPM-B parameters, and omitted decompression consequences.

I suggest you try working out some deco profiles with the downloadable dive software from Sherwood, and/or contact Sherwood for a more in-depth review of which algorithm they are using.

Anyway, best with it in the future, and I hope this clarifies what I was trying to explain regarding how you could logically have gone from 4 minutes of deco at 46' to 43 minutes of deco at 10'.

Doc

Last edited:
..... Can you shed any light on what would cause this?
If I had more details on your dive profiles (not just max depth and average depth) AND surface intervals ..... I could easily replicate your dives with our simulator in few minutes (with a time warping feature just for this) ..... but I am quite sure it will kill me if I would ascend from the fourth dive as You did :wink:
Our simulator is based on straight Buhlmann ZHL16C algorithm (quite close to what is used in your dive computer i believe).

It seems to me that the leading tissue were the slow ones (4 long dives with average depths in the 40ish) and this could be the reason for the long deco time as predicted by the Bulhmann algorithm.

As an example, if the leading compartment was #12 (or even #13), its half time is 239 minutes.

The other issue here is inherent with the Bhulmann algorithm that in case of deco predicts deco stops quite in the shallow - but with long deco times.

I recommend you read Baker's paper "Understanding M Values" AND .... monitor more closely your dive computer while diving.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

but I suspect your computer was telling you that at 1:08, at a depth of 46', based on your total residual nitrogen loading, you needed to hold 46' for 4 minutes as a deco stop.

I find that really hard to believe. Have never seen a computer that wanted a 46' stop. 40 feet or 50 feet,yes,but never 46'

Also when a computer first goes into deco the initial stop is always going to be at 10 feet. Any dive requiring 4 minutes in the 40-50 foot range is a full on deco dive,not an NDL dive that slipped over the "limit"

I have an Aeris Atmos pro and have seen it do weird things a couple of times. I once did a 60 foot NDL dive followed an hour or so later by a 130 foot deco dive.Computer got very upset and started asking for insane amounts of deco. (Perhaps 40 minutes when V planner wanted 10)
My take is thats I was using the computer way outside its design parameters and it really did not know what to do. Suspect the computer in the OP had the same issues??

If that is the case I would post this question to Sherwood as there seems to be to me a software issue with the computer. It would make perfect sense that as you ascend "IF" you missed a stop that the time would continue to rise. But if the computer was 100% telling you to do a stop for 4min a 10' and that was your deco obligation and nothing else and then suddenly began to jump numbers sounds like a software problem. I would guess is you should have had a couple few minute stops between the depth you were at and back to surface. 3min 15ft stop should have been showed too unless your computer does not tell you that.

But if the computer was 100% telling you to do a stop for 4min a 10' and that was your deco obligation and nothing else and then suddenly began to jump numbers sounds like a software problem. I would guess is you should have had a couple few minute stops between the depth you were at and back to surface. 3min 15ft stop should have been showed too unless your computer does not tell you that.

The 4min at 10' will only apply if the diver immediately ascends to 10 feet at 30'/min (or whatever is programmed into the computer)
If you hang around at 150 feet that number is going to increase rapidly. I agree that with the diver at 40 feet it should either stay the same or maybe increase very slowly.

Bottom line is if you are going to do deco dives get a computer that can handle that.

Back
Top Bottom