Unresponsive diver taken to Catalina chamber - San Pedro, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
One year ago. . .

COD: Drowning, secondary cause due to Gas Embolus (see Coroner Case Detail link above).

Precipitating Event: Rule Out Accident vs Misadventure.

Did anyone sit in on the panel board discussion and follow the 2017 Accident & Incident Report Conference on this particular case at the Long Beach Scuba Show a month ago?

Last edited:
Because of her GUE training was she not wearing a computer? It would be interesting to see her profile. I wonder if she had an issue and initiated a rapid ascent before embolizing. I had dived with Gina and found her to be one of the most skilled divers I ever met. I assumed her death must have been a medical event.

Because of her GUE training was she not wearing a computer? It would be interesting to see her profile. I wonder if she had an issue and initiated a rapid ascent before embolizing. I had dived with Gina and found her to be one of the most skilled divers I ever met. I assumed her death must have been a medical event.
I don't think so Phil. . .

[The most harrowing wreck penetration I've ever done was the WWII sunk-in-action Heavy Cruiser USS Houston in Indonesia, in 30msw with absolute zero visibility -and that was on the outside of the warship- with the hull and superstructure completely wrapped in fishing net. My buddy and I were still fouled & tangled a few times on egress from the bridge, no matter how careful & cognizant we were of the netting.]

Anyway this incident with a GUE Scooter/DPV Team, in probable poor visibility conditions, on the UB88 sub with fishing nets draped nearby along the hull is a scenario for an entanglement accident -worst case being "clotheslined" by unseen monofilament while on DPV trigger scootering forward. That's the only way that a diver of Gina's experience & caliber -other than an unforeseen "medical event"- could have been so completely caught unaware and so quickly incapacitated.

I'm speculating that there was a ligature entanglement about her head and neck, either with primary reg ripped away from the mouth and/or inability to access the bungee necklaced secondary reg; and with induced onset of acute water inhalation laryngospasm in the few minutes it took her teammates to find her again. Tragically, the team lost control of Gina as they freed her from the entanglement and she raced to the surface on an embolizing uncontrolled buoyant ascent. . .

I don't think so Phil. . .

[The most harrowing wreck penetration I've ever done was the WWII sunk-in-action Heavy Cruiser USS Houston in Indonesia, in 30msw with absolute zero visibility -and that was on the outside of the warship- with the hull and superstructure completely wrapped in fishing net. My buddy and I were still fouled & tangled a few times on egress from the bridge, no matter how careful & cognizant we were of the netting.]

Anyway this incident with a GUE Scooter/DPV Team, in probable poor visibility conditions, on the UB88 sub with fishing nets draped nearby along the hull is a scenario for an entanglement accident -worst case being "clotheslined" by unseen monofilament while on DPV trigger scootering forward. That's the only way that a diver of Gina's experience & caliber -other than an unforeseen "medical event"- could have been so completely caught unaware and so quickly incapacitated.

I'm speculating that there was a ligature entanglement about her head and neck, either with primary reg ripped away from the mouth and/or inability to access the bungee necklaced secondary reg; and with induced onset of acute water inhalation laryngospasm in the few minutes it took her teammates to find her again. Tragically, the team lost control of Gina as they freed her from the entanglement and she raced to the surface on an embolizing uncontrolled buoyant ascent. . .

Speculation & details. These are based on ?

Speculation & details. These are based on ?
LA County Coroner link above COD: A) Drowning; B) Probable Air Embolus. MOD: Accident.

Also LA County Sheriff Special Enforcement Bureau -Dive Team Search & Recovery and Accident Investigations. Call Sheriff Diver David Carver and ask for the report on the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom