Unsafe recommendation in Dec '06 SCUBA Diving Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I unfortunately suffer from allergies and quite often the only way I can dive is on sudafed. I have only done 3 dives when not on sudafed and on one of those I did get a reverse block (it was one of my OW cert dives and I didn't know any better at the time). In life there is risk, I weigh the risk of diving on sudafed and do what I can to negate that risk. I do not dive when my allergies are really acting up because I would consider that unsafe. On the other hand if I dove only when I could dive without sudafed I would only get in a few dives a year. I think diving only a few times a year is more dangerous than diving on sudafed because my diving skills would be very rusty given the very limited number of dives I could dive in a year. Now I am not advocating that people should use sudafed to allow them dive. That is a choice each person should make after having a full understanding of the risks involved and they should weigh those risks for themselves.

Hemlon:
Each person must know how they will respond to any given medication before taking it while diving.

That being said, I routinely dive while on Sudafed as a treatment for nasal congestion. I know how it affects me and I have been diving while on it for over 5 years.

As fisherdvm said, I would frown on making ANY negative statement against it.

What works for one person, will not work for another.

I agree with this. I do pretty much every dive on some kind of decongestant, but I have bad allergies and need it. I have been taking it for years and know how it affects me and how long it lasts. I have had reverse sqeeze twice and it sucked. Once was for only about 30 seconds, the other was for several minutes and I was starting to get worried about it not resolving itself before I had to surface, and it was quite painful. Both times were times that I had not taken the decongestant, and it has never happened when I did. So I would say, it is always better if you don't have to take anything, but if you have to, use something that you know will work and last.

Warning! Don't take medical advice from non medical people!
Even DAN says it looks like it helps. Too much PADI not enough common sense here.
I pop some before most every dive, with a 6 hour half life, what is the problem?

Holy cow! Everyone needs to email or write the magazine. Their advice could cause a HUGE liability issue. The last thing I want is some student or diver saying "but such and such magazine said" and then have them get hurt or become upset when I tell them to sit out a dive. Most of those I dive with should understand my decision though.

Being in the buckle of the allergy belt (Nashville, TN), if you don't like the congestion, wait 5 minutes and it will change :)

That said, I tell my students not to dive on medication. I don't know, and perhaps DAN or a research pharmacologist has other info that I don't that indicates it may be OK... but I would rather play it safe.

I went diving with some friends one time, and while I could equalize on the surface and even down to about 50 ffw, it became increasingly harder to equalize as I went deeper. At 70 ffw, I signaled to my buddy that I couldn't equalize and was turning the dive... The plan was for a 100 ffw dive...

I dont know about most divers, but i have a history of sinus problem up to today. But i have never used any decongestions at all and would never try it on a dive. For me, if i cant equalise on the surface,i would just abandon the dive,it just not worth it busting the eardrums for a dive.

DWJ:
Interesting stat. Can you share where you got this. I'm not disputing it, just curious.

Don't know about the stats but when a doctor looked in my ears recently he said "you're a scuba diver aren't you?". Apparently there is some type of inflammation that is common to our ilk.

As a practicing physician, I agree with the comment from the dive instructor who said "I instruct my student not to dive while on medicine".

You can not accept liability from anything. The article mentioned in the magazine probably had a disclaimer that the opinion voiced is not that of the magazine.... However, as I stated before, I would not make a point blank statement about sudafed.... As an overweight, hypertensive diver certainly can push his heart to the limit with sudafed - and die - as a result of a dive magazines recommendation.

Us doctors know how much liability you can get yourself into... So I tell my pregnant patients they can not use over the counter medicines, and not even applying benzoid peroxide on their zits.... As benzoid peroxide is listed as category C.

In the same way, the only thing any dive boats, any dive instructors, or any doctors really should say - is no diving with any medicines - unless you were cleared by your own doctor. My personal experience, in using claritin and afrin - is safe for me. But certainly, might not be safe for anyone else.

I agree with the initial assessment - a dive magazine should not endorse the use of sudafed.

But with proper consultation with a medical attorney, I can see where a sporadic use of afrin, or a non drowsy antihistamine, can be recommended by a diving medicine expert. And I am not one....

Hey, I went and read that article, and the quote was from some doc who was also pushing some saline sinus rinse. The guy said, "preliminary research noted less .... " ear squeeze...

Sounds fishy to be pushing some flushy wushy nasal spray..... Eventhough alot of us, myself included, probably will pop a pseudofed or two to save a dive, but a dive magazine should not endorse any product, over the counter or not, unless the "preliminary research" has been published in a peer reviewed recognized and regarded medical journal....

I hate it when companies push medical product based on unpublished or questionably published research...

I would give a thumb down to scuba magazine to their quality of journalism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom