Unscrupulous Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrih

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone direct me as to where to report an unscrupulous dive shop? It is a long story but in essence, a local dive shop "is trying to locate" my late husband's gear, some of which was dropped off for service (His REG w/computer) and everything else that was to go out for consignment.

They promised to look into it and phone me back. They never did. I have left a number of messages and still no response. When I have gone to the shop, the on duty employee just claims that I will have to speak with the person who will not return my calls.

They did not give me a receipt but my information is in their "Book." (A spiral notebook I might add.) The employee that accepted the equiptment is no longer with the shop. I was able to contact him and he claims that before he left he passed on all of my information and pointed out to this other employee where all of the equiptment was and what to do with it.

They did let me go into the back of the shop, and I did locate one of my husband's shorties...ON THEIR RENTAL RACK!

Any suggestions? I am thinking of reporting them to the BBB and to PADI & SSI. Someone also suggested that I contact our local news.

This has been a horrific year and I can not believe how insensitive and uncaring this shop is being. As far as I am concerned, this amounts to theft!

Thank you in advance for any ideas that you might have on how to resolve this issue.

terrih

I don't think you have posted all the details. Was the stuff dropped off for servicing? How much time had passed from when it was left there and when you attemped to pick it up. I only ask because you indicated your husband has passed away and an employee is no longer there leads me to believe it may have been quite a while. Items left at any shop for a long time can easily get misplaced. We have considered applying storage charges on gear left over 60 days. There is a tank in our shop that has been there for a year, I have left a couple of messages on the owners machine and I am ready to put it in rental to defray storage cost.
So what is your story?

terrih:

Any suggestions? I am thinking of reporting them to the BBB and to PADI & SSI. Someone also suggested that I contact our local news.

if they carry any sort of rating or affiliation (padi, naui..whatever) contact them directly. this shop is going to give their organization a bad name and they will do something from there end if you can provide something for them to act on.

I would just go in to the shop and demand to speak with the owner of the shop.

Make them call the police if need be.

Make sure your ducks are all in a row.

bmvfethead has the right idea. Demand to speak to the owner. I'm guessing the problem is just a couple of irresponsible employees, and once the owner of the shop finds out what is going on, your equipment will turn up quickly.

Have a Better Business Bureau in your town?

Do not make them call the police. That would force you to start out on the defensive. I suggest you call the police and register a theft complaint. Provide them the name of the ex-employee who is willing to vderify that the shop received the gear. I suspect the police will not have the same trouble you are having in talking to the right person.

Similar thing happened to me - small claims court works best.

I'm agree with wedivebc. What is the timeframe of these events?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom