Untasty mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisJones

Reaction score
I just purchased my first reg yesterday. My shop had managed to find a couple of old Mares things from the previous shop and they had a new in box Mares MR12 Akros at a great price. So I had the regset put together with a new mouthpiece that fits better than the Mares without being as spendy as the seacure. Its a rubber oceanic. The problem is that the new mouthpiece manages to combine the wonderful taste of fresh rubber with the sterilized goodness of listerine. Is there any way to remove the rubber/listerine taste of the mouthpiece?

Chris

It will go away with time but if it really bothers you soak it in a good tasting mouthwash for a few hours.

Scott

*Hot* water might help, too. Heat usually helps rubber off-gas, which is most of what that taste is.

Soak it in almond extract..

ChrisJones:
I just purchased my first reg yesterday. My shop had managed to find a couple of old Mares things from the previous shop and they had a new in box Mares MR12 Akros at a great price. So I had the regset put together with a new mouthpiece that fits better than the Mares without being as spendy as the seacure. Its a rubber oceanic. The problem is that the new mouthpiece manages to combine the wonderful taste of fresh rubber with the sterilized goodness of listerine. Is there any way to remove the rubber/listerine taste of the mouthpiece?

Chris

Mine always taste like S*^&$$^^&&T

Wonder why, maybe its because I never clean a thing and let my gear set in my dive box in the hot sun for weeks. :)

But I do like the light green color :)

O-ring:
Soak it in almond extract..
But what if I'm, or my buddies, are allergic to nuts?

Then I'd be in a pickle.

Heh, skip the almond and just use the bourbon :), most "extracts" are just flavored bourbons anyway.

mer:
Then I'd be in a pickle.
I would avoid soaking it in pickle juice...

cornfed:
I would avoid soaking it in pickle juice...
Well, bread and butter pickle might be okay, but dill pickle would probably prevent you from holding the mouthpiece properly.

mer:
Well, bread and butter pickle might be okay, but dill pickle would probably prevent you from holding the mouthpiece properly.
Don't leave the pickle in your mouth piece, just splash some juice on it.

Back
Top Bottom