Untrained cave diving in the Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the problem is not lack of training etc.. I think the problem is that training agencies will not hand out real sanctions, recreational diving agancies like PADI, SSI, CMAS should immediately revoke any certifications/affiliation when dive shops like Neptuno get caught in hazardous diving practices such as taking OW divers in a cave. The reality is that they might get a slap on the wrist, if even that, so faced with little to no threat of real sanctions dive shops worldwide weigh the odds and choose to make a quick buck at the expense of unsuspecting clients.

All this nonsense about OW training should tell them to not go into the overhead etc.. is just that..nonsense, we are talking about OW divers who have never even seen a cave before, at the open water level I seriously doubt any diver would know the difference between the safe cavern zone and the full cave area in places like Cueva Taina, Dos Ojos, or Chac Mool (to name only three) it is very easy to sit around and lay part of the blame on OW divers when as I have said before the line is already very blurry between cave and cavern to start with.

The problem is a dive industry which only cares about making money and not getting sued, these insane "guided" dives are going on every single day in Mexico, the DR and anywhere were there are caves, the agencies all know but choose to turn a blind eye and hope for the best.
Here is an example, some irresponsible dive shops in Mexico are taking open water clients to the Madonna passage in Calaveras, a full cave dive, in the Pit after diving the cavern down to about 45mtrs then they go up to the shallow cave and take clients to see the camel bones a 150mtrs full cave penetration.
In the DR you have the recent Cueva Taina incident and this is the only one caught o tape, but many other dive shops do the same dive, you also in the DR have El Chicho in Bayahibe were some shops take clienst on a 300mtrs full cave penetration.

The problem with all these is none of these dives look even remotely dangerous to an untrained diver, big beautiful decorated etc.. and the shops play on that and offer these dives as safe and fun for the whole family.

Now I also want to be clear about something the vast majority of instructors, guides and shops are safe and adhere to strict safety guidelines, the problem is the few who do not and those few reflect negatively on the entire dive industry.

Actually the real problem is there aren't enough slip and fall lawyers in the DR.

Actually the real problem is there aren't enough slip and fall lawyers in the DR.

Im pretty sure they kill slip and fall lawyers in the DR........Sounds like the one thing they are doing right to me.

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the problem is not enough lawyers.

Yeah, to be honest: not that shocked. Have seen it in DR. Have seen it in other places too. People are very safety conscious in the US, so they tend to react more stridently, but I have seen that and worse in other parts of the world.

What surprises me more is not how often it happens (as it seems to happen a lot), but how rarely it seems to have tragic consequences.

Should realize that many if not most divers are not enthusiasts but rather vacation divers and those tend to overestimate their ability and underestimate the risks... if I had a nickel for every under experienced diver I have seen at a vacation dive spot I would be rich.

I remember once when I was diving in Cozumel there was this guy in our group who wanted to dive the Devils Throat and he was so casual about the risks... he had only 20 dives under him, fortunately FOR HIM nobody was willing to take him but he was complaining

Yeah, to be honest: not that shocked. Have seen it in DR. Have seen it in other places too. People are very safety conscious in the US, so they tend to react more stridently, but I have seen that and worse in other parts of the world.

What surprises me more is not how often it happens (as it seems to happen a lot), but how rarely it seems to have tragic consequences.

yeah it happens a lot but that is only proportional to how many free flows or other major gear failures (not many ever) the most minute thing to go wrong on any of those "guided" dives and you will get multiple fatalities. What you fail to point out is that the vast majority of guided cavern dives are conducted within established safety guidelines which is why accidents are not very frequent.

Many of these dive shops figure that since there are not many accidents what the hell let's do it to and they think it will not happen to them.

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the problem is not enough lawyers.
I guess I should have used the sarcasm icon. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom