Update on Verde resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an alternative to diving verde from the resort is to hook up with daytrippers. there are resorts who arrange that from anilao as caloy mentioned and i know some guys who take off from lea beach. the old dive shop in verde moved its tanks and compressor to a backpacker's resort somewhere on the island.

Did anyone look at the compressor? When were their tanks last hydrostatically tested? I heard something "not cool" the other day.....was wondering.

tell us more BabyD and i'll try to get some info.

I want to check the information out first.........

Verde is superb diving - that's for sure. I've been going there almost every week for the past 16 years and it never ceases to amaze, the quality of the diving.

Usually we drop by Verde Island Resort for a coffee every week, on our trips from Puerto Galera. It seems like a nice resort - but everytime we have been there the dive center has either been closed or no one around. Unless the resort has a group booked, the restaurant is also very quiet with a limited menu. The cottages and pool look very nice.

Considering the expense of the rooms there and the fact that it only takes 35 minutes from PG - I can't see much reason for staying on Verde. There are 6 dive sites - San Agapito Hole, The drop off, Washing Machine, Galleon Site, Twin Palms beach and Black Fish corner - better stay in PG and hop over for the day. If you're in a group you can be picked up and taken back to Lea Beach.

Rick

Frontier Scuba Dive Frontier Scuba: British dive resort in Puerto Galera, Philippine

The resort is now operated by Dos Palmas, of Palawan fame. It's nice and not that pricey (not yet) perhaps because all of the facilities like their spa are open. Looks like by early next year they'll get these all up and running.

Diving in the "center of the Center of Marine Biodiversity" is great.

Here's our feedback to Dos Palmas Verde Island (DPV)

1. The staff are courteous, helpful and accommodating. They never failed to greet us and ask how our stay is at the resort. We appreciate their efforts to anticipate our needs as well as try to provide our every request. The dive masters at the dive shop are competent, knowledgeable and well experienced.

2. Our room is immaculately clean. We love the bed and linen as well as the bathroom amenities.

3. The view from our room (C3) is excellent, overlooking the pool as well as the sea and the island across. It was a privilege to wake up each morning and open up the veranda doors and just enjoy the quiet morning breeze.

4. Among the activities suggested, we truly enjoyed the community walk. It was an opportunity meet the island people and appreciate their island way of life. It was also a chance to express our thanks to the island people for letting us share their beautiful island.

5. By and large, the food is excellent and generous. The appetizers and desserts were particularly CREATIVE and ORIGINAL. We specially liked the grilled tomato and mozzarella with tiny fried morsels of the cheese, as well as the sushi. The pakaskas dessert was very tasty.

Scuba diving

1. The San Agapito dive spot is really spectacular wall dive. ItÃÔ amazing to see the bountiful species that that place offers. Joel, your dive master, was exceptionally experienced and had good reads of the diving situations. In the two dives that I had with him in San Agapito, he never placed us in situations where we needed to make drastic corrections in our dive due to changing currents and during rounding corners where current was strong. With his familiarity of the site, he gauge these conditions well, checked the actual situation and signaled either a turnaround or a change of course before it became uncomfortable to the divers.

2. Access to San Agapito with your speed boat was a breeze. Your speed boat crew was helpful, as expected. Jerry, your head dive master, was professional and was enthusiastic about the resort's research bi-valve project. In our night dive off your pier when he and his buddy, when Joel and I brought by the current unexpectedly met, he and his buddy enthusiastically led and pointed to us a Flamboyant Cuttlefish. Nice!

"The corridor is one of the country's richest grounds and top tourist destinations. Threatened species such as sea turtles, humphead wrasses, giant groupers and giant clams thrive in the area.

"A three-year study called 'The Center of the Center of Marine Shorefish Biodiversity: The Philippine Islands' by the Global Marine Species Assessment of the World Conservation Union showed that Verde Island Passage Marine Corridor has 1,736 overlapping marine species over a 10-kilometer area, the highest concentration of marine life in the world.

"The presence of port and energy facilities and unsustainable fishing methods pose grave threats to the marine resources of the area. Focal activities in the corridor include developing sustainable management interventions and mechanisms for the aquarium trade through certification of collecting sites and fishers engaging in the business."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom