Update to Diving in Puerto Rico w/pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Phish

Registered
Reaction score
Well I just got back from my trip and went through my pictures but not my video yet. I ended up diving off of Desecheo Island using Taino Dive shop. I had a great time on the dives. I was surprised about how few fish there seemed to be though. When I dove Cozumel last year there were tons and tons of fish, lots of full sized angels, barracuda, ocean triggers, rays, shark, grunts, etc etc. Diving off this island I saw no angels besides a couple of rock beauties, no cuda, one nurse shark, heard someone saw an eagle ray, etc etc.

Anyway. I called Taino Dive shop after reading recommendations here about a month or so before my planned dive. I used their site to get their information and booked my trip. When I did so, the total of the dive wasn't right so I asked the woman I was speaking to about the discrepancy. The site said the two tank dive to Desecheo Island was $109. But she was quoting me just under $130 or something and I didn't need equipment rental. When I told her the site said $109 she told me I was wrong, that that's for local dives, but even still I'm wrong because local dives are $99. I said I was certain the site says $109 but she kept insisting I was way off. I should have made her wait on the phone while I restarted my laptop and brought up the page, but I figured what the hell, I could be wrong.

So, get out there the morning of the dive, my buddy and I both pay the $129 or whatever for the dives, help load up the boat to go out and then I climb aboard myself and what do I see? The posted prices laminated on the boat next to the captain stating the two tank dive to Desecheo Island was $109. Showed my buddy and he suggested I take a picture. I tried, but I had to zoom in from the back of the boat and I didn't think the result was legible so I scraped the pic. Figures though.

Anyway, the dives were good. A few of the staff I dealt with were friendly and enjoyable, JR was one name I remember, there was a girl on the other boat who was friendly as well. Site said a lunch consisting of drinks, (water and soda) and sandwiches was included with the price so that was cool. Got a macaroni salad, chip and drinks to consume between dives. Overall I had a good time but there was a shadow cast because of the price thing. I understand costs increase and perhaps they didn't get around to the site, but after having it driven home that I couldn't be more wrong about the cost, that it was never $109, and then seeing it on the site and on the boats was kinda sour.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics from the dives.

bass%203.jpg

blue%20sponge.jpg

candy%20land%20formation.jpg

coral.jpg

grouper%203.jpg

honeycomb%20cowfish.jpg

maze%20brain%20coral%202.jpg

spotted%20trunkfish.jpg

stoplight%20parrotfish%203.jpg

vase%20sponge%202.jpg

zoanthids.jpg

sponges%20tunicates.jpg

desecheo%20island%202.jpg

Well, your persistence must have gotten to them. The website is now priced at $129 for a 2-tanker to Desecheo and there is also some small print above the price list that says "website prices subject to change, please check with dive shop."

Anyway, thanks for the report. I'll be diving with them in May most likely. Even though I think they're a little pricey, they are pretty much the only gig in town and I've gotten fairly good reviews from others that have dove w/ them.

Just Phish:
I was surprised about how few fish there seemed to be though.
When I dove Desecheo with Taino Divers last May, I thought the exact same thing. The water was clear and warm, but I was pretty disappointed with the lack of life. Sorry to hear about the price issue, but glad in the end you had a good time.

I have had the same experience as Matteo in other places. Now I will not rely on some middle 'man' who isn't directly employed by the dive service. Seems many of the low level people in the travel business aren't compensated well enough and they feel a need to rake off a few bucks. basically if I can't e-mail someone at the shop or charter service I go elsewhere. Ask them directly "Por Favor, what is your name and who employs you." it cuts right to the chase.
Thanks again for sharing your experiences and better luck in the future %^)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom