Updated Helium shortages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's really nothing new there. The US government selloff of helium has been going on for some time.

Prices have increased a bit

Price hasn't risen much at all, but sourcing it is a pita around here. Its frequently presold on contract to really high volume users (as in 10s of thousands of cubic feet per month). For MRIs, aerospace etc. Divers have to scrounge for leftover unsold cylinders and you often can't buy as much as you want or order.

My local supplier has had his allocation cut in half. They will not sell to a new customer as they want to take care of their regular customers that have been there for years. I witnessed a guy offer 4 times the going rate for a cylinder and promtly get turned down and informed why. My prices have gone up a bit, but nothing drastic yet.

This always struck me as odd.

Helium can be manufactured, for one thing, and it's one of the most common elements in the universe. Next to Hydrogen it's *the* most common element.... There are something like 1024 stars in the universe and the vast majority of those stars are mostly made up of hydrogen and helium. A single supernova in our local area would eject more helium into space than a gazillion divers could use in a life time....

How the hell did Earth end up being some kind of helium "desert"?

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom