upgrading from a p5100-new options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been had a nikon p5100 for years now (something like 9) - it still takes good pictures, but I am looking to upgrade and use as much of my old equipment as possible (inon strobe and 35 mm wet macro lenses and wide angle lens).

What is the new nikon camera series comparable to this? (higher end point and shoot/full manual, etc?

How much better will my pics be? I seem to have maxed out (at least from a macro perspective) what this camera can do, Video isn't important to me.

Thoughts

If you are seriously considering upgrading and staying with Nikon I would recommend that you check what housings are available for the current line of Nikon cameras. I think you will find that housings are not available for the Nikon higher end point and shoot, with full manual, etc. I think you will find that to stay with Nikon your only option will be to go to an slr.
I use a p7100 and a sea & sea strobe and shoot raw and full manual. I am really happy with the camera and the pictures I get. If I had to replace it today, the only option I see for me in the Nikon line is to switch to a dslr. However, I personally have no desire to deal with the size and price of a housing for an slr. I own a D800 that gets a lot of use, but I have no desire to take it underwater. If I had to replace my p7100 today, I would look at something like a Canon Powershot G7.
Depending on how old/which modeI of inon strobe you have, I would think it will probably work with most of the current cameras and housings. However your lenses are a totally different story.

thanks - although my lens size was wrong - it is 67 mm - I am the same way with my DSLR

I think the g7x is likely my go to

Interesting as I have a P5100 and came to the same conclusion as Sandiego_Frank. Size is one thing but its also way beyond what I want to pay for.
I have D800 and D500. I would even settle for a used Housing for my D200 or D300 but have not found one.

I am not sure why there is no housing for Nikon 1 V1.

Very bad luck: My P5100 lens just died and I'm going to Bonaire in 4 weeks. The barrel is stuck and I am getting lens error. I've seen this with many coolpix cameras. They don't last forever like SLRs.

Anyone want a Ikelite housing along with an Ikelite strobe:(:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom