Upgrading strobes for G7X .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector1959

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a CANON G7X on a Fantasea housing.
Two strobes: 1 YS-01 and 1 Nikonos 105.
So far, more than enough for macro shots since with minimum parture F11 a have to use the strobes in their minimum power. But I would like to have 2 strobes of the same model/power. Two Nikonos I don't think, but I wonder if two YS-01 is the best choice or I rather think of two strobes with higher power.

For wide angle, they seems to work well if I am close to the foreground. I really cannot shoot "wide" wide angles since the Fantasea Dome just allows me 84 degrees diagonally. This makes me think that I dont need more powerful strobes but I am not sure to be right.

Does anynone has a clear idea of what strobes are best for my configuration?

Should I consider when buying new strobes a possible future upgrade in camera? (discarding DSLR)

Regards

If you are using compact cameras, the smaller strobes should be adequate, the crop factor of 2.7 also applies to your f stop. f11 is equivalent f30 on a full frame camera. For wide angle f4 or f5.6 (equivalent to f11 -16 on full frame) should provide adequate depth of field, which means that the smaller strobes should do fine.

As to upgrading cameras later - it can't hurt and it depends on what you upgrade to, arguably the YS-01 would be fine for mirrorless but probably not full frame DSLR. Also bear in mind the bigger strobes are not that much more powerful, the YS-10 is guide number 20, the YS-D2 is 32, just over 1 stop faster. The bigger strobes have other advantages like faster recycle time and because they have more power they use less of the charge so are quicker still to be ready to shoot. They also have more coverage for very wide shots but again not a huge amount more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom