UPS dropped my tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is Valve bad, Tank good.
The valve is made of brass, and it is much softer than the steel tank.
So the deal you got on these tanks just went down by about $35.00 for each bad valve.

Jim breslin

Ditto - those tanks are tough - real tough. The valves, not so much. Replace the valves and start diving your new gear.:wink:

The tank never should have been shipped with the valve installed. UPS may indeed deny the claim. Course you take a chance shipping a bowling ball in a safe surrounded by foam with UPS. Want to insure something gets trashed by them. Mark it fragile. One of their dock gorillas who is having a bad day will sure as hell play football with it just to get even with the company.

.. Course you take a chance shipping a bowling ball in a safe surrounded by foam with UPS. Want to insure something gets trashed by them.

UPS did the packing according to the OP :wink:

It actually was UPS that packed them so maybe I'll get lucky. Who knows.

UPS uses conveyor belts and hoppers in their facilities. If your box (tank in this case) falls into an empty hpper your talking a 6' drop. If hopper is pretty full you have lots of boxes to absorb very little drop. It is luck of the draw when your box comes off the belt. per clint "Well do you feel lucky"

Mattboy If you had your own compressor why would you need a hydro ?
that hydro law only applies to someone selling or renting the tanks
I have a compressor for sale $6.500.00

Last edited:
UPS did the packing according to the OP :wink:

I'm guessing a UPS store. Franchised out in some way. I don;t trust them either. I do some packing and shipping for my company. If it's going UPS it doesn;t seem to matter how much foam, cardboard, bubble wrap, etc. They will find a way to screw it up.

I doubt anyone dropped your forty or eighty pound packageS down a chute. It's normally the very front that is affected which I give a squeeze in a soft vice and some taps with a smaller threaded steel pipe etc. Sounds safe hey. Tell your dad everything is good thank him for his time and tell him you love him. Most people just shouldn't pack stuff. Happy tanking.

I just sent in a series of pictures for my claim with UPS or should I say OOPS :wink: I tried to explain the problem as best as I could since there isn't actual visual damage. Hopefully they understand what I'm showing them! Honestly after hearing most of the replies I don't think the actual tank was damaged so I kinda feel a bit better about that. I have a new valve coming and if I get reimbursement great, if not then I'll just go have some nice dives to get my mind off it! I learned some great info from the replies too. Thanks again to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom