Urgent: Quick Service for Ikelite Housing for Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ottoferdinand_s

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear Ikelite Staff and Mr. Brett,

I have been trying to contacted you guys via ikelite@ikelite.com, service@ikelite.com, and brett@ikelite.com but your automated mail system said 'mailbox is full' and all of my emails are bounced.

It would be glad if I can contact you via your mobile phone number, skype, yahoo messenger, googletalk. I also sent personal message to these accounts: 'Ikelite Staff' and 'BrettF' in this scubaboard.com.

Here's what so urgent, really need your quick and helpful response:

I am Otto from Indonesia. I bought an Ikelite housing for Canon EOS 5D Mark II and 6" domeport for 15mm fixed lens at one your dealer in Singapore (Oceanic Focus, with Mr. McHale Song).

Mr. Song already emailed me to send it using his DHL account. But the problem is, I called DHL-Indonesia and for personal shipping, I will be charged by the customs. In order not to be charged by the customs I have to send it using company 'Import License' and 'Custom Master Number' which I don't have. Please advice on this.

Here's my email that I've been trying to send to Ikelite.

I bought the housing on April 25th, 2012. Afterwards we tested it in a 70cm water bucket, it was okay. And then I went to Raja Ampat on April 28th.
On the first dive we found that it was leaking, but we didn't know where is the leaking came from. This was very surprising and shocking. But then we thought there were some seal which weren't close enough.

So then we brought it to 6 metres in second dive, to have it tested. We also used a tampon. It turned out that it was still leaking. We tried to observe, apparently the leak came from the left screw hole on the bottom of the housing (picture is attached).

The same thing also happened to the 15mm domeport. During the dive, it was condensated, making drops water inside the housing. And the amount was not small, it was flooding a little.

Afterwards, we decided to stop using it furthermore. So then we cleansed it and disassembled it. That was when we found a small crack under the screw hole.
Another shocking moment. Because we kept the housing securely, it never dropped even once, and we kept it safe in a hardcase (Pelican) with foams to secure them.

Since we have limited access in the Raja Ampat, we can't contact you immediately. Today we just got back and have the opportunity to send this message to you.

We are planning to use the housing on our jobs, there are a photoshoot scheduled at the end of May 2012 and a diving trip to Alor on June 7-11 (to collect some footage for news).

With this condition, we want to ask you a couple of things as follow:
1. Should we send it to the distributor (in this case Oceanic Focus in Singapore) or send them directly to you?
2. Our distributor in Singapore said we'd better have it replaced (it might not able to be repaired). Is the replacement is coverd by the one-year-warranty? Since it's may be a manufacturer defect?
3. Since we are living in the Indonesia, the shipping cost must take a lot. Is this cost covered by the one-year-warranty as well? Or is it on our personal expense?
4. If it's not covered by the warranty, how much will we have to spend to have a replacement?
5. How long will it take to repair/replace this? Because (as explained) we kind of need it immediately.
6. How long will the shipping takes time? And is there any recommendation on which shipping company (faster, cheaper, secure)?
7. Do we have to ship all of the equipments (including the small parts) or the housing + o-rings + dome port only?

Looking forward for your quick response.
Thank you very much.
Best regards,

Attachments

• Ikelite 15mm dome.jpg
    Ikelite 15mm dome.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Ikelite in Pelican.jpg
    Ikelite in Pelican.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Ikelite screw mounting 1.jpg
    Ikelite screw mounting 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Ikelite screw mounting 2.jpg
    Ikelite screw mounting 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Ikelite small crack.jpg
    Ikelite small crack.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Ikelite warranty card.jpg
    Ikelite warranty card.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 120
ottoferdinand_s,

Our email server has been having problems which is why your emails were kicked back. The problem was resolved as of this afternoon and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Your answers are below after the questions.

1. Should we send it to the distributor (in this case Oceanic Focus in Singapore) or send them directly to you?
- This is your decision. You may have your distributor send it to us or send it direct. The following info should help:

Please send BOTH the front and rear sections of the housing to Ikelite at the following address for evaluation and repair service:

Ikelite Repair Department
50 West 33 Street
P.O. Box 88100
Indianapolis, IN 46208 USA

Please address email correspondence regarding repairs to the Ikelite repair department:
repair@ikelite.com

Please enclose a brief letter with the product(s) stating the problem. For the separate international customs documentation form that must be completed to accompany the shipment, please state or designate that the country of origin is the USA as the enclosed products were originally manufactured in the USA and are being returned to the manufacturer for repair service. The forwarder chosen to send the package can assist with the customs documentation. Normal repair time is about 3 weeks plus time in transit.
The Ikelite limited warranty covers manufacturing defects, and the problem may be a warranty related repair at No Charge. Should there be a charge for the repair service, then Ikelite will provide an estimate of the charges prior to performing the repair. Ikelite repair costs are very reasonable, but Ikelite does not provide estimates in advance of receiving and evaluating the product.

2. Our distributor in Singapore said we'd better have it replaced (it might not able to be repaired). Is the replacement is coverd by the one-year-warranty? Since it's may be a manufacturer defect?
- I would agree with the distributor based on your photos. It is possibly a warranty repair, but we must evaluate it first.
3. Since we are living in the Indonesia, the shipping cost must take a lot. Is this cost covered by the one-year-warranty as well? Or is it on our personal expense?
- We will cover the shipping cost if it is a warranty repair, otherwise you are responsible for return shipping costs.
4. If it's not covered by the warranty, how much will we have to spend to have a replacement?
- The Ikelite Service Department will contact you with this information after it is evaluated.
5. How long will it take to repair/replace this? Because (as explained) we kind of need it immediately.
- 3 weeks plus shipping time.
6. How long will the shipping takes time? And is there any recommendation on which shipping company (faster, cheaper, secure)?
- Ikelite Service will give you that information.
7. Do we have to ship all of the equipments (including the small parts) or the housing + o-rings + dome port only?
- No, we just need the housing itself excluding tray/handles and component pieces.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite
brett@ikelite.com

Thank you for the reply.

Last night there's an email from service@ikelite.com telling me to resend the email that I've been trying to send. But as I try to send it again, it kicked back again from all of these mail accs: ikelite@ikelite.com, service@ikelite.com, brett@ikelite.com. Kindly have it fixed, so I could send the email to you.

However, here's what I wrote in the email:

Hi Ikelite,

I have passed the housing and the 15 mm dome port to Oceanic Focus (Mr. McHale Song) via their representative in Jakarta, Indonesia. I also attached a cover letter describing the problem of the housing and my address and phone number where you can reach me.

Please be notified that I have a tight schedule and kinda need the housing by the end of May if possible. I have 2 underwater video projects by the end of May, and 1 project on June 5. Hope you guys could help me out with it.

In case you didn't receive the printed cover letter, below are the problem of the housing.

I will PM 'Ikelite Staff' and 'BrettF' accs with my address and my contact number.

Thank you for the reply.

Last night there's an email from service@ikelite.com telling me to resend the email that I've been trying to send. But as I try to send it again, it kicked back again from all of these mail accs: ikelite@ikelite.com, service@ikelite.com, brett@ikelite.com. Kindly have it fixed, so I could send the email to you.

However, here's what I wrote in the email:

Hi Ikelite,

I have passed the housing and the 15 mm dome port to Oceanic Focus (Mr. McHale Song) via their representative in Jakarta, Indonesia. I also attached a cover letter describing the problem of the housing and my address and phone number where you can reach me.

Please be notified that I have a tight schedule and kinda need the housing by the end of May if possible. I have 2 underwater video projects by the end of May, and 1 project on June 5. Hope you guys could help me out with it.

In case you didn't receive the printed cover letter, below are the problem of the housing.

I will PM 'Ikelite Staff' and 'BrettF' accs with my address and my contact number.

ottoferdinand_s,

I have received all your correspondence including PM information and forwarded it to the Ikelite Service Dept. at repair@ikelite.com. Please delete the email address service@ikelite.com as it does not exist.

Email seems to be running perfectly on our end. You might try a test email to repair@ikelite.com and brett@ikelite.com "without" any attachments. Regardless, we have all of your information.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom