US Shark Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackbeard Cruises out of Freeport Bahamas has a Great shark dive. Also Stuart's Cove out of Nassau, Bahamas has a shark dive. And flights to the Bahamas from North Carolina are very reasonably priced; especially considering today's airfare rates.

If you're talking cage dives, you ought to get a hold of a book titled the Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey. Read about the Farallones (islands about 30 mi off of San Francisco.) If I were going to go for a shark cage experience, I would think seriously about doing it there. Read the book and you'll see why.

If you want a pretty much sure thing, dive in the open with sharks, I recommend Cape Lookout, NC, going out to the wreck formerly identified as the Caribsea. The sand tiger sharks are thick there, look mean as hell, but are actually quite docile.

I would look at Jim Abernathy's liveaboard, the Shearwater. He seems to specialize in shark diving, and although the boat can get a little crowded with a full load of divers, the shark encounters are amazing. I particularly remember the tiger shark diving which I did with his gang, and I am sure I am not the only one. The Shearwater is based out of West Palm Beach, Fla, if I am not mistaken, and haunts the western Bahamas most of the time. Great people, and well known by professional photographers.

i'd be careful with abernathy....i saw an article lately where he is pushing the limits on the law with the bahamian tourist board- they don't want tiger shark caging done there w/o cages and he does it anyway.

i did the stuart cove's shark experience recently and it was a hoot- if you want more than a day or two of diving, then go for the blackbeard's trip- they do one shark feed and usually two sites that are heavy on sharks- plus you see them on most dive sites anyway.

There are hammerheads off the Texas Gulf Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom