US State Department Warning for the T&Cs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T&Cs....checked. Did a week live-aboard last September and spent two days in Providenciales. Not sure I can say I'm interest at this time in returning.

Cozumel on the other hand, have visited five times in the last couple of years and intend to keep on visiting. Never felt at risk or threatened while there. Friendly people, great diving, nice accommodations and well, plenty to officially call it an enjoyable dive vacation - destination that I highly recommended to friends and family.

T&Cs....checked. Did a week live-aboard last September and spent two days in Providenciales. Not sure I can say I'm interest at this time in returning.

Cozumel on the other hand, have visited five times in the last couple of years and intend to keep on visiting. Never felt at risk or threatened while there. Friendly people, great diving, nice accommodations and well, plenty to officially call it an enjoyable dive vacation - destination that I highly recommended to friends and family.
I've been to Provo twice and loved it. Grace Bay is the most beautiful beach I have yet seen and the dives I did in West Caicos and French Cay were fantastic! We rented a car and drove all over the island and never felt unsafe - I can't say I ever saw anything that concerned me either. However, we stayed at a resort (The Sands at Grace Bay), and did not venture out much after sunset (diving means early pickups there!). We've recommended it to at least 3 friends who stayed there with their families over the last 4 years and all loved it as well!

However, my wife (who is a Pharma sales rep) recently was talking to one of her doctors who had a scary experience in Provo last year:

They rented a private villa (not sure where exactly) in a development through an online service like VRBO (not clear if it was actually VRBO). On the 3rd night there, they were awoken to a racket only to find 2 men wielding machetes trying to break in through the rear sliding glass doors. Luckily it appeared to be safety glass so it was somewhat resistant and did not just shatter. In the meantime, a neighbor heard the panicked screams and showed up with security and the intruders ran off. The Dr and her family flew home the very next day and will never return (her 2 young kids were were quite traumatized as were she and her husband). Very scary stuff!

To make matters worse, she tried to share her experience via the rental site review section a few times and her comments on the attempted home invasion were removed each time!

T&C needs to nip this in the bud or they will suffer a huge drop in tourism - I, myself, would think twice about heading back at present. The current situation is problematic - it's a damn shame!

I've been to Provo twice and loved it. Grace Bay is the most beautiful beach I have yet seen and the dives I did in West Caicos and French Cay were fantastic! We rented a car and drove all over the island and never felt unsafe - I can't say I ever saw anything that concerned me either. However, we stayed at a resort (The Sands at Grace Bay), and did not venture out much after sunset (diving means early pickups there!). We've recommended it to at least 3 friends who stayed there with their families over the last 4 years and all loved it as well!

However, my wife (who is a Pharma sales rep) recently was talking to one of her doctors who had a scary experience in Provo last year:

They rented a private villa (not sure where exactly) in a development through an online service like VRBO (not clear if it was actually VRBO). On the 3rd night there, they were awoken to a racket only to find 2 men wielding machetes trying to break in through the rear sliding glass doors. Luckily it appeared to be safety glass so it was somewhat resistant and did not just shatter. In the meantime, a neighbor heard the panicked screams and showed up with security and the intruders ran off. The Dr and her family flew home the very next day and will never return (her 2 young kids were were quite traumatized as were she and her husband). Very scary stuff!

To make matters worse, she tried to share her experience via the rental site review section a few times and her comments on the attempted home invasion were removed each time!

T&C needs to nip this in the bud or they will suffer a huge drop in tourism - I, myself, would think twice about heading back at present. The current situation is problematic - it's a damn shame!
Holy crap! Now that would scare the bejeezus out of anyone. I' probably never return as well. But I do love the place.....

This is from the "Visit TCI" page and it is surprisingly frank:

Safety and Crime | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands

Are the Turks and Caicos Islands 'safe'?

Yes and no. It depends on what you consider to be safe, what exactly you choose to do on your vacation, when you do it, and how you do it.

The Turks and Caicos Islands is one of the safest countries in the Caribbean and overall crime is equitable with large North American cities such as New York or Miami. However, being one of the safest Caribbean countries doesn't necessarily mean a lot when you're competing with the significant crime problems of places such as Jamaica or the Bahamas.

The Turks and Caicos has several inhabited islands. The vast majority of crime occurs on the main populated island of Providenciales.

The islands of North and Middle Caicos, South Caicos, Salt Cay and the smaller cays see very little crime against visitors.

Much of the information on this page mainly concerns Providenciales.

Crimes against Tourists

Crime against tourists definitely occurs in the Turks and Caicos. The country received 1,407,313 visitors in 2014. 971,838 of these were cruise ships guests who only visit for a few hours on Grand Turk. Very little crime is committed against Grand Turk cruise ship visitors.

Of the 435,475 non-cruise guests, nearly all stay for multiple days on Providenciales. The following mainly applies to guests staying overnight on Providenciales.

Armed invasions of rental villas are the greatest crime concern. The typical scenario is criminals (two to five persons and typically armed with firearms, blunt weapons or machetes) break into an occupied villa, subdue their victims, collect all valuables including passports and electronics, possibly attempt to have a victim withdraw cash at an ATM, and then leave. Our estimates are that 2 to 8 of these villa invasions happen on Providenciales every year. Staying in a hotel or resort will reduce this risk. Some villas have security guards or neighborhood patrols that lessen the likelihood of crime.

Armed robberies of pedestrians and persons are another issue. Criminals (in most cases one to two) will typically accost their victims at locations where the criminals are unlikely to be seen, demand all valuables, and then leave. Most of these robberies have occurred at dusk or after dark. Although committed throughout Providenciales, due to the tourist density these robberies (for tourist victims) usually happen in the Bight and the western Grace Bay areas, both on the roads and on the beach. A few are committed at the seldom visited and remote western beaches and national parks. For the 2016 crime reporting period, there were 134 recorded robberies (against both residents and tourists). 96 involved the use of a firearm, and 130 of the 134 recorded robberies were on Providenciales.

Thefts are the most common crime committed against visitors. These crimes are usually unattended valuables being stolen from a car (a window will often be broken if the car doors are locked) or from the beach. Although not quite as common, thefts from unoccupied hotel and resort rooms and villas do happen. We do not have any reliable information on how often these thefts occur, but published police information suggests at least several incidents per month. One local publication simply recommends that you leave the doors to your rental car unlocked to prevent the windows from being broken (the repair cost may not be covered by insurance).

Remote, isolated and secluded areas increase your risk of becoming a crime victim. The western half of Providenciales has very little development and several national parks and beautiful beaches are here, including Northwest Point National Park, West Harbour Bluff and Frenchmans Creek and Pigeon Pond Nature Reserve. Most of these sites are accessed by long unpaved roads and criminals are aware of the isolation and subsequent long police response times. Although the number of reported crimes (both thefts and armed robberies) against visitors that occur annually in this remote region of Providenciales is in the single digits, it’s important to be aware that comparatively few visit these areas, so statistically the risk is greater. We've posted notices on the attractions which (in our opinion) pose an elevated risk.

General Crime and Safety Tips

Consider not going to any remote or isolated area on Providenciales
  • Do not leave valuables in your vehicle or unattended on the beach
  • Consider staying at a hotel or resort instead of an isolated rental villa
  • Be aware that being out at dusk or night on the beach carries an increased risk of crime
  • Be aware that walking on the roads at dusk or night carries an increased risk of crime
  • Lock up or secure any valuables at your accommodation if a safe is available
  • Don’t leave any valuables exposed when not at your accommodation
  • Consider obtaining travel insurance that covers theft

This is from the "Visit TCI" page and it is surprisingly frank:

Safety and Crime | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands

Are the Turks and Caicos Islands 'safe'?

Yes and no. It depends on what you consider to be safe, what exactly you choose to do on your vacation, when you do it, and how you do it.

The Turks and Caicos Islands is one of the safest countries in the Caribbean and overall crime is equitable with large North American cities such as New York or Miami. However, being one of the safest Caribbean countries doesn't necessarily mean a lot when you're competing with the significant crime problems of places such as Jamaica or the Bahamas.

The Turks and Caicos has several inhabited islands. The vast majority of crime occurs on the main populated island of Providenciales.

The islands of North and Middle Caicos, South Caicos, Salt Cay and the smaller cays see very little crime against visitors.

Much of the information on this page mainly concerns Providenciales.

Crimes against Tourists

Crime against tourists definitely occurs in the Turks and Caicos. The country received 1,407,313 visitors in 2014. 971,838 of these were cruise ships guests who only visit for a few hours on Grand Turk. Very little crime is committed against Grand Turk cruise ship visitors.

Of the 435,475 non-cruise guests, nearly all stay for multiple days on Providenciales. The following mainly applies to guests staying overnight on Providenciales.

Armed invasions of rental villas are the greatest crime concern. The typical scenario is criminals (two to five persons and typically armed with firearms, blunt weapons or machetes) break into an occupied villa, subdue their victims, collect all valuables including passports and electronics, possibly attempt to have a victim withdraw cash at an ATM, and then leave. Our estimates are that 2 to 8 of these villa invasions happen on Providenciales every year. Staying in a hotel or resort will reduce this risk. Some villas have security guards or neighborhood patrols that lessen the likelihood of crime.

Armed robberies of pedestrians and persons are another issue. Criminals (in most cases one to two) will typically accost their victims at locations where the criminals are unlikely to be seen, demand all valuables, and then leave. Most of these robberies have occurred at dusk or after dark. Although committed throughout Providenciales, due to the tourist density these robberies (for tourist victims) usually happen in the Bight and the western Grace Bay areas, both on the roads and on the beach. A few are committed at the seldom visited and remote western beaches and national parks. For the 2016 crime reporting period, there were 134 recorded robberies (against both residents and tourists). 96 involved the use of a firearm, and 130 of the 134 recorded robberies were on Providenciales.

Thefts are the most common crime committed against visitors. These crimes are usually unattended valuables being stolen from a car (a window will often be broken if the car doors are locked) or from the beach. Although not quite as common, thefts from unoccupied hotel and resort rooms and villas do happen. We do not have any reliable information on how often these thefts occur, but published police information suggests at least several incidents per month. One local publication simply recommends that you leave the doors to your rental car unlocked to prevent the windows from being broken (the repair cost may not be covered by insurance).

Remote, isolated and secluded areas increase your risk of becoming a crime victim. The western half of Providenciales has very little development and several national parks and beautiful beaches are here, including Northwest Point National Park, West Harbour Bluff and Frenchmans Creek and Pigeon Pond Nature Reserve. Most of these sites are accessed by long unpaved roads and criminals are aware of the isolation and subsequent long police response times. Although the number of reported crimes (both thefts and armed robberies) against visitors that occur annually in this remote region of Providenciales is in the single digits, it’s important to be aware that comparatively few visit these areas, so statistically the risk is greater. We've posted notices on the attractions which (in our opinion) pose an elevated risk.

General Crime and Safety Tips

Consider not going to any remote or isolated area on Providenciales
  • Do not leave valuables in your vehicle or unattended on the beach
  • Consider staying at a hotel or resort instead of an isolated rental villa
  • Be aware that being out at dusk or night on the beach carries an increased risk of crime
  • Be aware that walking on the roads at dusk or night carries an increased risk of crime
  • Lock up or secure any valuables at your accommodation if a safe is available
  • Don’t leave any valuables exposed when not at your accommodation
  • Consider obtaining travel insurance that covers theft
More home armed home invasions, Blue Hills and Long Bay families violated and shot at

Talk about biting the hand that feeds them - but the thieves/thugs are too ignorant to realize it. They're going to have problems if they don't address this more aggressively as most people will interpret it like this instead:

General Crime and Safety Tips:

Consider not going to Providenciales and picking a safer destination!

Private Villas seem like a really bad idea at this point, but still a good resort or live aboard dive destination, though.

Last edited:
I thought T&C is (was) known to be one of the safer destinations in the Caribbean area. I've been there twice in the last two years and felt totally safe. Good to know.

Thanks for the heads up. Been there twice and enjoyed our stays. Googling crime in Providenciales pulls up a number of disturbing stories. The most concerning is on the T&C official website about crime. May put T&C on the back burner for a while.

My wife and I have been there 5 times and this trend really saddens me. We have always felt safe walking around town and never had any problems.

FWIW, here is the link to the Government of Canada travel page for TCI.

Haven't been to T&C yet and the Canadian advisory for personal safety is troubling. At 67 I still have good strength but I don't run so fast anymore. We will probably pass on T&C for the time being. Coz is calling me home.

I am sure the US State Department Warning was warranted . It is just a warning .

Holy crap! Now that would scare the bejeezus out of anyone. I' probably never return as well. But I do love the place.....

Good news, it appears that the US State Department has removed the Travel Warning for the T&Cs but of course it is wise to be alert and cautious wherever you are in the world. The T&Cs have certainly had a rough year and they are rebuilding after being hit by 2 hurricanes, I wish them the best of luck.

Good news, it appears that the US State Department has removed the Travel Warning for the T&Cs but of course it is wise to be alert and cautious wherever you are in the world. The T&Cs have certainly had a rough year and they are rebuilding after being hit by 2 hurricanes, I wish them the best of luck.
Hmmm... doesn't mean much unless they explain why they removed the warning? What has changed since they issued the warning? As I said, it's a beautiful location with fantastic diving, but the reported, ongoing issues do raise concern...

Haven't been to T&C yet and the Canadian advisory for personal safety is troubling. At 67 I still have good strength but I don't run so fast anymore. We will probably pass on T&C for the time being. Coz is calling me home.
Why is the Canadian advisory troubling? If you look at any country, including your own they advise visitors to exercise caution. There is no alerts for TCI from Canada's Government.

Why is the Canadian advisory troubling? If you look at any country, including your own they advise visitors to exercise caution. There is no alerts for TCI from Canada's Government.

There is not a "nationwide advisory", but the "crime" tab includes this:

Muggings and armed assaults also occur, mostly in areas popular with tourists. You should be especially vigilant on Providenciales, which has a higher crime rate than the other islands. Armed invasions of private villas with inadequate security are a concern and have increased since December 2016; the victims were also assaulted.

Back
Top Bottom