Usability of Ikelite housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterludo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

for our next vacation I'm going to trade my Fuji F100fd for a Canon PowerShot S95 for regular and underwater photos (mostly diving, not snorkeling). However I'm still not sure about the underwater housing, a Canon WP-DC38 or the better built Ikelite 6242.95.

I've been browsing the forum the last couple hours and read lots of posts but I'd like to ask concrete questions to get a better idea.

I'm a little concerned about the usability of the Ikelite housing. For my F100fd, I have a Fuji housing (WP-FXF100) which is kind of similar to the Canon housing, mainly for the zoom lever and the shutter knob. Since these controls are used similarly to when the camera is not in the housing, it's quite useful.

The Ikelite has a zoom lever knob which needs to be returned to center position to avoid blocking the controls and the shutter lever is on the upper right side of the housing. It sounds like I might need some time to get used to these controls, especially the shutter lever which seems to be at an inconvenient position for the forefinger and also I read a couple times the lever would be a little short.
I would be glad if someone with this housing could comment on this.

Also I've read a couple times that the buttons are hard to press (I guess people are talking about the back buttons). Does it get better after a couple dives or does one just have to get used to it and press real hard and is it really that inconvenient?

My last issue is with the rear shade pressing on the LCD screen but this is supposed to be fixed on newer housings, I just have to hope I'd get a new housing and not an older one.

Thanks for your help :)

I have handled both of those housing above water, not used underwater. I did not like the Ike housing at all. And I'm not anti-ike. My bro-in-law has an ike DSLR setup that is nice. But, the small ike housing is not something I like. The zoom is almost useless unless you want full wide or full zoom. anything in between is hard to achieve. It did not feel good in my hand and akward to press shutter with no feel to it. The canon housing has a much more natural feel and the front control ring knob is much smoother. Now, the ike is much sturdier, but the trade off in ergonomics is not worth it.
I also came from a fuji (F30). That fuji OEM housing is better than either the ike or the canon.

Remember, I never used either of the S95 housings underwater, but if something is difficult to use above the water, I don't think it's going to get better under the water.

I have the s95 and the Ike housing. The zoom can be a bit of a pain, but I find that I mostly shoot macro so I can do my zooming in Apeture (my Mac editing software). Don't worry about the LCD shade, Ikelite is very helpful and if you get one of the housings with the uncorrected shade it is easy to fix plus Ikelite will send a replacement. I think the Ike housing is well built and I would buy it again. You will love the S-95, shooting in RAW format is great.

Thanks to both of you, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was expecting.

I guess I wouldn't be zooming too much so I could live with that pain but as chris196 mentioned, it seems like the shutter will be awkward to press. If one uses a tray grip it's probably better but I'll just have a minimal setup of camera + housing so it seems like it'll be inconvenient compared to the Canon housing. How do you feel about using the shutter lever triggerman365?

My main concern about the Canon housing is the build quality. I think I read some posts mentioning leaks. Also I can't tell because I didn't see it for real but from the pictures it doesn't look as sturdy as the Ike.
Anyone with the Canon housing to reassure me? :)

What I could/might do is order both housings and return the one I won't use but I'd like to have some more opinions before.

Will you be using an external strobe?

The lens port on the Ike housing is larger to accommodate 67mm wet mount lenses and may block some or more of the photo than the Canon housing if using only the camera's built in strobe.

Best to ask someone with the Ike housing.

I have used an S90 with the on-board strobe and it is not that impaired by the housing lens tunnel unless you get very close to your subject.

You WILL be zooming without an external strobe because you can't get on top of a subject in the macro mode with either housing using only the on-board camera's strobe.

Nope I won't be using an external strobe, my wife would be quite mad at me having as big gear in my hands as on my back :wink:
The UW photos are just to capture the moment and the awesome things we see down there, no macro (I guess you need time to do that and my wife would just leave me behind :D).

Nice photos on your site btw. Haa I'd love to get back to Hawaii (sigh)

Nope I won't be using an external strobe, my wife would be quite mad at me having as big gear in my hands as on my back :wink:
The UW photos are just to capture the moment and the awesome things we see down there, no macro (I guess you need time to do that and my wife would just leave me behind :D).

Nice photos on your site btw. Haa I'd love to get back to Hawaii (sigh)

Then IMO you are better off with the Canon housing. Shoot all your photos in RAW so as to have more control over editing, especially the white balance on non-strobe shots. You can process the RAW photos in the Canon Digital Photo Professional software that came with the camera or in another program of your preference.
And thanks for the compliment on my photos.

Thanks for your feedback :)
It sounds like the Canon housing is the way to go for me.

Can anyone currently using a Canon housing give some comments on the build quality over multiple dives? Is it still in good shape and has no leaking issues? I also read somewhere it gets scratches quite easily.

And Gilligan, I especially like the Honu photos, really great, and the wrecks are also pretty cool :)

Thanks for your feedback :)
It sounds like the Canon housing is the way to go for me.

Can anyone currently using a Canon housing give some comments on the build quality over multiple dives? Is it still in good shape and has no leaking issues? I also read somewhere it gets scratches quite easily.

And Gilligan, I especially like the Honu photos, really great, and the wrecks are also pretty cool :)

I have a Canon G10 and G12 housing. They are made of polycarbonate as is all the Canon housings. It does not matter that the housing may scratch. The lens port is glass and that's the part that matters the most. Next is the monitor window which is polycarbonate. No doubt it will eventually get a few scratches on it but small scratches disappear when the housing is submerged.
The build quality is fine. Not the same as an Ikelite or FIX housing but then again look at the price difference.
I have had my G10 for two years now and it works fine. And yes it has some scratches on it.
One possible issue with Canon housings is sticking control plungers. That is easily solved by applying one drop of pure liquid silicone to the exterior side of the plunger with a toothpick or the like then working the plunger several times.
Always rinse your housing in fresh water and push the plungers several times while in/under the fresh water.

trident_silicone.jpg

Back
Top Bottom