Usability of Ikelite housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Canon housing for my A570 and I like it a lot. But I looked at the Fix housing for the S95 at Our World Underwater last weekend and I was really impressed with it. It has threads for a wide angle lens and a hot shoe for a video light. It's black aluminum.

For just amateur photos as I do the Fix housing is a bit overkill :)
Well it looks like I'll go for the S95 with Canon housing then :)

Hmm I don't want to bother you people but I'm still undecided.
I thought I would go with the Canon housing mainly because of the shutter lever and the zoom control on the Ike but I'm having seconds thoughts now.

I read a couple more posts on this board and on other websites and I saw some quite people mentioning leaks on their S90/S95 Canon housings after a couple dives.
That can be bad luck but since I don't see too many people reporting leaks on the Ike for the S95 (actually I haven't seen any) it makes me think about going with Ike since it really seems better built (and the closing. I don't mind spending more money for the housing and having to get used to the controls as long as my camera remains safe :)

I'll probably end up ordering both housings and returning one after trying them out but I'd be glad to get some more thoughts on my fear.

Go back and look at what Gilligan said about the internal flash and each housing. The Canon will allow the internal flash to be used. Test yours to make sure it doesn't leak. Also, the failure mechanism is fairly well documented and can be checked yourself (mold release lines).
Many people use Canon housings successfully every day.

You could also wait a bit and get the new Oly XZ-1 and housing. I think Oly makes a better housing than canon, but both are adequate.

It does come down to how you feel about it. You have lots of data and it's your decision.

You could also wait a bit and get the new Oly XZ-1 and housing. I think Oly makes a better housing than canon, but both are adequate.

The XZ-1 cannot fire a fiber optic slave strobe in the Super Macro mode because the camera's internal strobe is disabled in the Super Macro mode. Oly is notorious for disabling the camera's internal strobe in Super Macro mode.

Thread HERE on that.

Will the hot shoe fire a hard wired (true TTL) strobe in the Super Macro mode? This I don't know.

Well I think you're right, I'll probably go anyway for the Canon OEM housing. It just bugs me a little I would have to double check / fix the mold release lines to make sure there's no leak which should be Canon's job.

I had been considering the XZ-1 but:
- it's not really pocketable but that I could live with
- it's supposed to have more noise on higher ISOs, might not be too much relevant under water but I also want to use it as P&S and lighting is not always good
- it seems kind of hard to get a hold on the camera + housing at the moment and I'm leaving in 3 weeks

What I liked is the option to zoom during videos on the Oly from stock but that can be done also on the S95 using CHDK (even if it's noisy) and from what I read the video quality of the Oly is just ok.

Thanks for your feedback :)
It sounds like the Canon housing is the way to go for me.

Can anyone currently using a Canon housing give some comments on the build quality over multiple dives? Is it still in good shape and has no leaking issues? I also read somewhere it gets scratches quite easily.

Have the S95 Canon housing and just used it for 70+ dives in the Philippines. Had no issue with leakage and it only fogged up once. Used it with and without moisture munchers. No issue with sticking buttons yet but it happened with my old A710is housing.

Hmm I don't want to bother you people but I'm still undecided.
I thought I would go with the Canon housing mainly because of the shutter lever and the zoom control on the Ike but I'm having seconds thoughts now.

I read a couple more posts on this board and on other websites and I saw some quite people mentioning leaks on their S90/S95 Canon housings after a couple dives.
That can be bad luck but since I don't see too many people reporting leaks on the Ike for the S95 (actually I haven't seen any) it makes me think about going with Ike since it really seems better built (and the closing. I don't mind spending more money for the housing and having to get used to the controls as long as my camera remains safe :)

I'll probably end up ordering both housings and returning one after trying them out but I'd be glad to get some more thoughts on my fear.

To avoid flooding, you have to take good care of the main o-ring.
Some Canon OEM housings have a mould mark that has to be sanded. This is fully explained in this thread.
Besides, Canon OEM housings have been accused of sticky buttons. With these indications, you can avoid sticky buttons.

Canon OEM housings are well done and they should be well maintained to avoid flooding and sticky buttons. One point further in favor of Canon OEM housings is that they are not as big as the Ike housings. Ike housings are bulky. Bulky means a lot of possitive buoyant.

I own a Canon A570IS + Canon WP DC 12 since mid 2007 with something like 60 dives up to 30 meters and no flood nor sticky.

Besides, Canon OEM housings have been accused of sticky buttons. With these indications, you can avoid sticky buttons.

That is a good tutorial on how to remove the plunger O-rings but IMO it is totally unnecessary as well as time consuming. A drop of pure liquid silicone will solve the problem without removing any parts.
The reason for some Canon housing plungers sticking is more likely the lack of spring strength on the plunger.
Keep it simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom