USB IrDA for Uwatec SmartCom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No , I'm using a PC.

Based on my experiences so far, DON'T buy one from the company that seems to dominate E-Bay sales of these devices (for $9.95 plus about the same in shipping). I installed their driver and, although it did connect and download the data from my Uwatec, the computer crashed to blue screen (the first time I've seen that using Win XP). I tried to stop the device the next time I booted, and got the dreaded blue screen for a second time. Ever since I seem to be having problems with my USB devices. The people who sold it to me have yet to respond to my e-mail.

On a PC, pretty much any IRDA adapter will work. Go to Amazon, Buy.com, or any other legitimate provider and buy an inexpensive one ($10-20) and you should be fine.

Just my luck, Kalani... I picked the one USB IRDA adaptor that won't! Actually the adaptor works, the driver is just buggy as all get out.

Just my luck, Kalani... I picked the one USB IRDA adaptor that won't! Actually the adaptor works, the driver is just buggy as all get out.

That falls under the "legitimate provider" caveat I mentioned. :wink:

Bill, I have one kicking around somewhere you can probably have, if I can find it. Worked fine the one time I used it.

the computer crashed to blue screen (the first time I've seen that using Win XP). I tried to stop the device the next time I booted, and got the dreaded blue screen for a second time.

I experienced a similar problem with mine, but it occurred when I disconnected the IrDA without first "ejecting" the device.

The minute I pulled it out of the machine, the damn thing crashed (the only time my computer has crashed in the 4 years I've owned it) - same thing, blue screen.

My solution has been to not repeat the same series of steps (you really shouldn't be yanking things out of the machine without first stopping, and "ejecting" them, I knew better, I had just never seen a computer crash because of it)

I experienced a similar problem with mine, but it occurred when I disconnected the IrDA without first "ejecting" the device.

The minute I pulled it out of the machine, the damn thing crashed (the only time my computer has crashed in the 4 years I've owned it) - same thing, blue screen.

My solution has been to not repeat the same series of steps (you really shouldn't be yanking things out of the machine without first stopping, and "ejecting" them, I knew better, I had just never seen a computer crash because of it)

My crashes occurred WHEN I tried to stop the device (eject it). They pointed me to a new driver which is a but more stable but still blue screened me twice. At least I got my computer downloaded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom