USD horse collar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8dust

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have, or have access to an owners manual for a USD horse collar??? maybe have seen a download some where???
Must have come with some type of paperwork originally.

Thanks, Fred

I think I have a parts breakdown for it if that's what you need, otherwise there is not much to it. Put over head, adjust straps and connect LP inflator (if it has one). Add or remove air as needed.

Well, OK... I was trying to salvage my manly pride, but....

Haven't dove with one before, got one off ebay, used of course, and the thing's like a dam Chineese puzzle. Despite all the straps and clips, I can't figure how to wrap them around myself in any kind of way that makes any sense. It may even be missing a vital bit, not sure. That's why I thought a diagram or picture would help. Either it's set up for someone or something a vastly different shape than I am, or something is missing and/or extra, or I'm really not very smart at all and should think about giving up underwater exploration!

Also, the large bit on the end of the shoulder vent valve opener??? Other HCs I've seen just have a string in a sewn-down tube with a ball at the end. This seems like there's more to this than I can explain as well. The bike cable doesn't seem like as good an idea as a string would have been, and I see the bit to press to pull the cable to open the valve, but why is that end unit that overall shape? and why is the end opposite the dump button open? it looks like something could plug into it, but what? cause it only connects to a cable, not a hose?

Lastly, there were two co2 cartridges? that pulled at the same time? seems like a lot of gas for a small volume to fill. I don't intend to use those, so can I just put an extra LP plug in them to seal up? can't get to the point yet to see if I have any other holes, which, the general consensus seems to be that I likely will...

So, if indeed It happens that I am largely just pissing in the wind here with this lovely piece of new old gear, what should plan "B" be? suggestions? I've always been pretty loyal to the USD brand and want a black one, and I don't much care for any new HC's I've seen as they seem a bit cheap, so what's my other options if it comes to it?

Thanks in advance.

Barely afloat in Nashville, 8dust

On the right side together with the lever to dump air is where you connect the LP hose for the inflator. It uses a unique connection.

You can use LP plugs to plug the CO2 cartridge. Then you can test it if it holds air. If it is from the 70’s or even 80’s it may hold air… but it won’t for long… Sorry. :(

The material of the bladder will crack next to one of the fittings, making it impossible to fix.

Your best option for vintage horse collars are Seaquest (now own by Aqua Lung), Seatec (I think they were made by Seaquest), Scubapro (they are stiff with no bladder), and maybe others, but I can’t think of anymore.

There is a new horse collar that one SwimJim had at Portage Quarry vintage dive event last year that looks very good.

Good luck

There is an instruction manual on Ebay under vintage scube right now, item # 250510716009. I have a Sea Elite horse collar from Divers Supply that I like a lot.

This is the one I have that Luis H mentioned. Aquatec Horse Collar BC BC-002 Pl-230 with reviews at scuba.com
I really like it whether it's set up with a power inflator or just used straight "Vintage". I also own a like new Yellow USD horse collar. I got it because it's the same model I had when I got certified in the 70's. It's bladder lasted about three dives.
My Aquatec has been on many adventures from lake Michigan to Portage Quarry Ohio, lake Wazee and Door county Wisconsin. Used with my old Dacor plastic back pack, it makes a great combo for wet and drysuit diving and both single and double hoses. It also has a large front pocket that can accomodate a good size safety rock in a pinch, ill be gotten booty or the odd lift bag or safety sausage. When I bought the Aquatec I thought it was a little pricey. After a boat load of dives it has held up rather well and I'm sure it will be in my arsenal for many years!

Jim

ah ye of little faith...

finally got around to pluging the two co2 valves, and not a bladder leak to be found.

the rubber seat for the dump valve looks a bit dried out and may require some attention, but at the moment the only problem would seem to be a stuck open valve in the power inflator connection body. I didn't even realize that was a place to connect a hose because it didn't seem like it connected to the bladder, which must be straight through the back side.

questions for today:

1) what did the male end on the LP hose look like? I'm assuming it was propri. to USD.

2) how do I get at the inside of that valve connection to free up? there is that big silver screw on the face, but it looks like you could put somthing down the throat of the valve connection maybe.

Thanks in advance, Fred

I have a few extra hoses, as well as a couple extra NOS plastic valve bodies.

Remove the big screw and the valve assembly will lift off the brass stem (you need to loosen the cable to the pull dump as well.) Be careful removing it as any stress on the stem may cause the bladder to crack where they attach. The valve/inflator assembly is pretty straight forward and the valve is basically a shraeder valve in the end of the hose, so the rest of it is just the seals to seal the inflator body to the stem.

I own three of them and all hold air to some extent - one for about an hour, one for a few days and one that is essentially perfect (a newer all black military version).

In my experience, the dump valves are difficult to fix if they leak.

ok, under most circumstances, I don't think I'm too too stupid, but I'm just not seeing how this inflator / dump valve body comes apart, and I don't want to start prying on things randomly.

When you take the big silver screw off, it looks like a cap... for another big screw???
Whole things a bit crusty so I really feel like if I can just break it down and clean & lube, I'd be good to go with no more leak.

Help!

Back
Top Bottom