Use Doubles on 30lb wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the great answers. I do understand your concern about wing not fully inflated hence less lifting. I plan to buy double tank wing, but travelling with two wings is a big issue as I may do dives with single tank and dives with double tank in the same vacation, hence I was thinking to use one wing with two adapters only.

A doubles wing with a STA will work for single tanks. If you go from a wing for twins-18 and use it with a single 6l steel, it might not be very nice to use though as it'll wrap around the tank a lot.

Anywhere that will rent you doubles is probably going be able to rent you a doubles wing.

Thanks all for the great answers. I do understand your concern about wing not fully inflated hence less lifting. I plan to buy double tank wing, but travelling with two wings is a big issue as I may do dives with single tank and dives with double tank in the same vacation, hence I was thinking to use one wing with two adapters only.
2 wings don't take up that much space. I've travelled with both, plus a hell of a lot more than that for dive kit. You only need one backplate.

diving doubles no set suit........what happens with a wing failure?

Nothing else than with a single wing I suppose. You have to look at the whole package, not just single or double tank.

I've got a 45lb doubles wing and it works fine for traveling and diving with single tanks. It's obviously not as streamlined as a single wing would be, but it is still comfortable and I don't fight with it.

what happens with a wing failure?

With proper instruction on diving doubles one would hope that scenario is covered using a DSMB as a secondary buoyancy device.

With proper instruction on diving doubles one would hope that scenario is covered using a DSMB as a secondary buoyancy device.

My problem with that is that it works well with a hard bottom. but with no bottom or a 300 ft bottom its a real issue. I know its about balanced rig ect but I don't see how you can have that with out a wet suit and ditchable weight. You go from balanced to 20+ heavy in a wing failure and you dot have time to deploy a lift bag with the decent rate. Just opinion. You are history with out a quick responding buddy. I can imagine diving the Oriskiny with doubles and ean32 and loosing the wing and not stopping till you get to 225 or where ever the bottom is. Ive always been accepting that the rule no dry suit no doubles is a valid rule.

My problem with that is that it works well with a hard bottom. but with no bottom or a 300 ft bottom its a real issue. I know its about balanced rig ect but I don't see how you can have that with out a wet suit and ditchable weight. You go from balanced to 20+ heavy in a wing failure and you dot have time to deploy a lift bag with the decent rate. Just opinion. You are history with out a quick responding buddy. I can imagine diving the Oriskiny with doubles and ean32 and loosing the wing and not stopping till you get to 225 or where ever the bottom is. Ive always been accepting that the rule no dry suit no doubles is a valid rule.
Use different tanks that aren't boat anchors? Easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom