Use Hollis titanium line cutter as reef hook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going on a trip real soon and some mentioned to get a reef hook for photography. Not having enough time to pick one up, or even do a DIY from a fish hook, I was if I can use the Hollis titanium line cutter as a reef hook? It seems to be pretty solid, but don't know how brittle its titanium is. I am sure the edge might burred, maybe I will heavily tape up the edge.

the size/shape of that doesn't seem like it would be nearly as effective a reefhook as the usual big fishhook. You would be making contact rather close to the edge of whatever and possibly breaking something off or just not staying attached very well.

Where are you going? You might find places where reef hooks are useful and commonly used, you can buy one easily. I've even been on a liveaboard where they loaned them to everyone.

Going to the Brothers/Daeldalus/Elphinstone itinerary in the Red Sea. It is pelagic, thus strong current, but there is no mention of reef hook used by anyone. Maybe they hang out in the blue to watch the sharks.

Back
Top Bottom