Use machine longer or shorter and more intense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just started using an elliptical machine at the gym to try and build some endurance when swimming/diving.

1. Would it be better to stay on the machine longer and lower the intensity or increase the intensity and stay on it for less time?

Thanks.

You would be better off doing a longer work out with less intensity if you are looking to build up endurance.
Diving is like running cross country,long and steady vs. sprinting. You will be diving for 30 to 60 minutes at a time, so train like you will dive.

Jim Breslin

There are current philosophies that say short intensity intervals (such as Tabata Intervals) are effective for increasing VO2 Max, lactic threshold, and aerobic capacity, without the resultant pounding and grinding you get from simply putting in lots of miles at a lower HRT %.

That being said... if someone is just starting, lower-intensity/longer workouts will still show gains and improvement versus someone still on the couch.

One thing I've learned from several years of going to the gym and picking the brains of the trainers is to mix it up. Your body will get used to one type of exercise sooner or later. Do one week of long sessions, followed by another week of intervals. Also, mix up your machines. I get my best workout from the elliptical (weight bearing, intense cardio, saves my knees) but I do switch to the bike or treadmill once in a while

Do both as well as intervals.

I just started using an elliptical machine at the gym to try and build some endurance when swimming/diving.

1. Would it be better to stay on the machine longer and lower the intensity or increase the intensity and stay on it for less time?

Thanks.

Both should be included as part of your routine but consider a few factors:

- Diving itself is NOT a physical activity. In fact, the better divers are all about energy efficiency to make their gas supply last longer.

- The activities that lead to diving could be physically demanding depending on your current physical conditioning and the relation of you and your gear. 60 lbs of gear is barely noticeable to a 200 lb diver. It is not the same for a diver who barely weighs 110. Your strength plays a crucial role in dealing with these factors successfully.

- The activities that could arise as a result of a diving emergency could also be very physical. Again, a crucial factor is your strength.

The reason I bring up the above factors is to remind you that all your physical performing capacities are an expression of your strength.

To be specific to your question, going intense for short bursts can be very productive in developing physical endurance, but to get the most of this level of training, you have to have a good level of strength.

The long low intensity can be a good starting point, or a welcome break from the intense bouts, but monitor the length of your activity. Joints are not too fond of overuse in the same pattern.

Finally, stay away from anything that tries to mimic the demands of diving. Diving is more of a set of acquired skills than physical prowess, and the only thing that can get you better at diving is well, diving.

That is not to say you should not engage in physical training as your physical fitness will be challenged when you least expect it. The point is that any form of physical activity as long as it's well rounded, methodical, and delivers results without destroying your body will make you fit to handle the demands of diving. Do not select exercises or methods just because they mimic diving motions or positions. It is not a productive approach.

Have fun!

stanw,

Here are few things to think about for your elliptical workout.

Recreational scuba diving is most often considered moderate-intensity physical activity, which translates to metabolic energy expenditure (METs) around 6 and 7 METs. These absolute MET numbers are usually shown on fitness equipment as a form of measuring intensity of the workout. It is also very important to train within the boundaries of your current fitness level. Calculate your Training Heart Rate with a formula such as the Karvonen Formula, which includes your resting heart rate in the formula. For applications of aerobic exercise there are physiological benefits that translate to scuba diving especially when exercising in your 70-80 percent training heart rate zones. You can compare your training zones with METs to see how you are progressing. A third and important factor is how hard the exercise feels to you. The BORG rate of perceived exertion scale indicates moderate-intensity physical activity in a range of 12 to 14 on a scale of 6 being no exertion and 20 being maximal exertion. I often condense this down to a scale of 1 to 5 with five being the hardest. Work at a level that feels between 3 and 4 for moderate-intensity.

ScubaFit applies the 70% heart rate training zone primarily to improve the muscle cells ability to utilize oxygen. This zone trains the heart to pump more blood, metabolizes stored body fat as the primary source of energy, is preferred for weight management, and is a healthful intensity in preparation for moderate scuba diving conditions.

Training in the 80% zone is most effective for overall cardiovascular fitness and the ScubaFit program uses this heart rate training zone to improve the ability of the body to transport oxygenated blood to the muscle cells and carbon dioxide away from the cells. This zone is also effective for increasing overall muscle strength. A training zone of 80% of your maximum heart rate is similar to the work of swimming against a moderate current.

Notably, the 90% zone, while sometimes used for short periods to train for high levels of athletic performance, is not considered a healthful zone for recreational activity. However, of considerable importance is that exercising with consistency in the heart rate training zones of 70% to 80% prepares you for a time when you may need to exert beyond usual conditions.

Search ScubaFit online to find more info - i.e., FitDiver Workout includes Karvonen Formula.

Hope this helps,
Gretchen M. Ashton, CFT, NBFE

I agree, fairybasslet. Mixing it up is great for lots of reasons, for one you don't get bored and secondly it's good to trick your body.

I've started going to the gym now that it's winter in Oz and I've been running, using the cross trainer and the bike plus weights and I feel great. I've also been doing 4 dives a weekend for the last month and I've noticed that my "diving" fitness is getting better because of it.

Good for you. I wish it would warm up here so I could get some diving in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom