Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If you use an integrated alternative air / inflator, which one do you use?

Funny you mention this. My wife and I have Seaquest BC's with AirSource alternates. I have been thinking about going back to an octopus arrangement. I have about 35 dives on the AirSource, and I have thought about changing back many times. After a lot of OOA practice, OOA discussions with dive buddy/wife, and thought about OOA situations, I'm thinking that I will keep it because I am getting more "used" to having this type of alternate. I guess no matter what you're using, you just have to practice and prepare.
:guitar:

I used to use an Air Source. But that was back before I really started drilling and preparing for an OOA. The few times I did try using that to breathe off of during and ascent, I realized what a kludge the whole thing was. I'm sure it would have been better with practice, but I don't ever see it being as easy as a standard octo. Then when it developed a slight freeflow that nobody could seem to fix, I switched to a standard octo solution.

Since then, I've switched over to the 7' hose and bungied backup, and now I don't even like standard octos. :eek:ut:

When I bought my new gear I started out with an airsource. I then (quickly) switched back to a conventional octo.

I am now switching to the 7' + bungee. It is lower profile than the airsource setup and seems more comfortable to use with none of the compromises.

Why not keep the AAS/Inflator and an Octo, using the AAS/Inflator as a backup-backup? I wouldn't go out and buy one just to have it as another backup, but if it was already on my gear, I would probably leave it...which actually I do when I am instructing....where I have to have an Octo for OOA drills.

Sorry about leaving the ScubaPro out, just a brain fart, just as not allowing ppl to use multiple choice.

Otter

To my way of thinking anything you don't NEED - don't carry it.

It is just more complexity to go wrong, something else to maintain.

The likelyhood of needing a backup octo is so remote it is not worth considering (in non-overhead diving).

Ive been diving the airsource on my SeaQuest for a year now and it is fine. The main reason i decided to give it a try was because i dive a pony bottle all the time regardless of depth and i like the idea i dont need an octo hanging in the way too.

I do wish the airsource was about 3 to 4 inches longer...and i have written SeaQuest about that....but the odds of having an OOA are really rare and the few moments of being uncomfy will probably be over come by emotional events .....

Actually, I can't think of any of our instructors or DiveCon's who don't use the integrated power inflator and all of the with newer equipment (myself included) use the Seaquest Air Source. I do not carry an octo. As we teach to hand off the primary in an OOA situation, I am breathing off the Air Source anyways if I am donating. One of the many reasons that we teach this is precisely because not everybody uses the same back-up air supplies anymore, but most everybody knows about their own secondary. So, you don't have to think about handing off your primary and going to your own secondary in this situation. But that is a another whole debate.

The advantages of the integrated to me are simple. I can't think of the number of times that I have noted new divers not clipping their octopus to their gear tightly enough or they lost their clip. Now it is in the dirt and/or not readily at hand. Not only is it likely clogged with dirt, it is creating a silty mess on the bottom. I know where my air source is because I have been controlling my bouyancy with it.

To the people that dive with the long hose and bungie necklace... Well obviously that is the way that I dive in doubles, but we try not to confuse students and new divers with different configurations and seven foot hoses on the primary definitely count as a "different" configuration. So, when I am assisting with class or participating in store dives, I am a little limited in my configuration. So, I find this to be the policy for me. But I have dove with a guy who used that in his recreational gear and I liked the idea.

Several years ago the people around my LDS were all talking about how nice it was to eliminate another hose by going to an alternate inflator regulator. With a hoseless computer and an alternate inflator I could be down to only two hoses, sounded great to me. That is until I had to do the OOA skills with my students because my DM was helping another student with his equipment. I had an Oceanic Shadow Plus and it was nearly impossible to do the drill with such a short hose. If the OOA diver is supposed to on your right and the alternte is on a very short hose on your left it's difficult at best to even see them let alone make eye contact.

After that one class session I switched back to regular octo. After doing some more thinking and reading on the subject I went to the 7' primary hose and the alternate around my neck on the bungee for all diving. Now, even in open water, if there's an OOA diver I can give them my primary reg on the long hose switch to my alternate, which is never misplaced, loose, or draging behind me, and we both have more then enough space to make a normal ascent without the chance of someones regulator being pulled out of their mouth because of a short hose.

Although my dive buddy uses an Air2 IMO the hose lenght on an alternate inflator is just to short and can make a bad situtation worse.

But that's just me.

diverbrian:

I know what you mean about the possibility of confusing the students by subjecting them to different types of gear they haven't seen before. My approach to that was to show them my rig during the equipment section of the class. I would explain to them that they were always going to see different types of gear in different configurations while diving because everyone has their own tastes and preferences and that my rig was just another example of what they might see. I'd explain to them how it worked and tell them that if they are ever paired up with someone who's equipment they were not accustomed to that they should ask that person to show them how it worked and what they should do in case of an emergency.

I usually got tons of questions from them about why I chose to dive with my rig configured that way but never had any trouble with them being confused.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom