Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian once bubbled...

The advantages of the integrated to me are simple. I can't think of the number of times that I have noted new divers not clipping their octopus to their gear tightly enough or they lost their clip. Now it is in the dirt and/or not readily at hand. Not only is it likely clogged with dirt, it is creating a silty mess on the bottom. I know where my air source is because I have been controlling my bouyancy with it.

None of those little clippy things seem to work well. I see a lot of classes in the water that make no effort at all to secure equipment.
To the people that dive with the long hose and bungie necklace... Well obviously that is the way that I dive in doubles, but we try not to confuse students and new divers with different configurations and seven foot hoses on the primary definitely count as a "different" configuration. So, when I am assisting with class or participating in store dives, I am a little limited in my configuration. So, I find this to be the policy for me. But I have dove with a guy who used that in his recreational gear and I liked the idea.

That's how I do all my diving and teaching. It doesn't confuse students because that's how I have them set up. Well, I have them using a shorter primary hose. I explain the different ways divers do it but the fact is this is what seems to work the best by far. It seems to solve all the problems of all the other systems. I can't think of a reason to teach them whet I think works the best.

I also explain that all they need to do to impliment the system when traveling and renting gear is to carry a piece of bungie or rubber tubing. Their hoses won't be the perfect length but the most important advantages are still there.

BTW, as far as I'm concerned while eliminating a hose may seem to simplify equipment I think it complicates in-water emergency procedures. The real goal is to simplify and mistake proof gas sharing. Donating the reg from your mouth and having a real alternate right under your chin seems to do that. Hoses aren't a problem if their the right length and routed correctly.

How do you deal with students that will be using rental gear? When I dive in the warmer climates, I obviously don't see any seven foot hose/ bungied back-up configurations. I have only seen octopus configurations there. Do you advise them to route the octopus hose in a similar manner to their usual back-up or use another tactic with the primary. I don't see many seven foot hoses down there at all. I may have misread here and be asking the proverbial "stupid question" as it may been answered.

To handle this, we put students in "traditional rental gear" in their last pool session if they don't intend to buy and show them air shares in that gear. You may do things (make that probably do) a little different in that regard.

diverbrian once bubbled...
How do you deal with students that will be using rental gear? When I dive in the warmer climates, I obviously don't see any seven foot hose/ bungied back-up configurations. I have only seen octopus configurations there. Do you advise them to route the octopus hose in a similar manner to their usual back-up or use another tactic with the primary. I don't see many seven foot hoses down there at all. I may have misread here and be asking the proverbial "stupid question" as it may been answered.

To handle this, we put students in "traditional rental gear" in their last pool session if they don't intend to buy and show them air shares in that gear. You may do things (make that probably do) a little different in that regard.

Simple. They carry a little bungie necklace with them. They breath off the longer hose on the rental regulator and put the shortest one under their chin. The hoses won't be the perfect length but the most important parts of the system are there.

Chances are if you want to secure the alternate instead of letting it drag you'll need to carry your own "thing" to secure it with anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom